Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2023 12:32 PM
  • Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Ottawa introduced a new three-year pilot program Tuesday that would incentivize employers to follow worker-protection rules by making it easier for them to hire temporary foreign workers. 

Under the "recognized employer pilot" program, companies with a good track record would only need to prove that they require temporary foreign workers every three years, instead of every 18 months. 

The employer's trusted status would also be flagged to potential workers in the government's job bank.

The new pilot will focus on "the protections and support that improve workplace conditions for temporary foreign workers," Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault said at a press conference in the Southwestern Ontario town of Ruthven on Tuesday. 

The temporary foreign worker program is designed to attract workers from abroad to fill short-term labour market gaps in cases where no Canadians or permanent residents are available. 

Employers involved in the pilot program will need to go through a more rigorous upfront assessment, Boissonnault said. 

Agricultural companies will be able to apply to be part of the pilot in September, and all other employers will be eligible in January. 

The pilot will simplify the hiring process by lifting the administrative burden of having to resubmit their paperwork every 18 months, said Jennifer Wright, executive director of the Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council.

"The government of Canada is addressing an important impediment to addressing labour shortages that have harmed the competitiveness of Canada's agriculture sector," she said in a statement Tuesday. 

The government set aside $29.3 million over three years for the program in its 2022 federal budget, referring to it at the time as the "trusted employer model."

Allegations of abuse have plagued the temporary foreign worker program for years.

Boissonnault said language barriers, social and physical isolation and a lack of awareness about their rights all make workers more vulnerable to abuse, and the government has attempted to curb the problems with more oversight.

Between April 2022 and March 2023, more than 2,100 inspections revealed 117 employers were found to be "out of compliance." Of those, 94 employers were fined a total of $1.5 million, 23 received warnings and six were banned from the program for five years. 

"The system is working, keeping workers safe," Boissonnault said. 

He said his office has launched a tip line for workers and advocates who witness wrongdoing, which is accessible in 200 languages.

MORE National ARTICLES

28 year old Shakiel Singh Basra arrested in ongoing gang conflict, facing firearms charges

28 year old Shakiel Singh Basra arrested in ongoing gang conflict, facing firearms charges
“Shakiel Basra has been the subject of several public warnings over many years due to his involvement in criminal activity,” says Constable Sarbjit Sangha, Surrey RCMP Media Relations Officer. “He is now facing new firearms charges in relation to his arrest on August 31.”

28 year old Shakiel Singh Basra arrested in ongoing gang conflict, facing firearms charges

Man in custody after fatal stabbing in Abbotsford

Man in custody after fatal stabbing in Abbotsford
A man was discovered with life-threatening stab wounds and rushed to hospital, where he died of his injuries. A 46-year-old man was arrested at the scene and remains in police custody.

Man in custody after fatal stabbing in Abbotsford

Vancouver home sales down 40% from last year

Vancouver home sales down 40% from last year
The board says sales for the month amounted to 1,870 and came amid a quieter summer season marked by reduced buying and listing activity. Last month’s sales were nearly 30 per cent below the 10-year August average.  

Vancouver home sales down 40% from last year

Man stabbed in chest after refusing to offer a cigarette to a stranger

Man stabbed in chest after refusing to offer a cigarette to a stranger
The victim reported that he was outside his home when a stranger approached him and demanded a cigarette. When the man said “no”, the stranger stabbed him in the chest. The victim fled from his attacker, who continued to follow him. 

Man stabbed in chest after refusing to offer a cigarette to a stranger

B.C. auditor highlights math dispute with ministry

B.C. auditor highlights math dispute with ministry
Pickup says grants from the federal government, for example, should be recorded as revenue rather than deferred revenue — an adjustment that would result this year in a $6.5-billion boost to the surplus.

B.C. auditor highlights math dispute with ministry

Surrey RCMP is asking public’s help in locating the rightful owner of a found ring

Surrey RCMP is asking public’s help in locating the rightful owner of a found ring
The ring is described gold Cartier 52 with a diamond on the outside and an inscription on the inside of the band. The rightful owner will be required to prove ownership of the ring by providing police with the details of inscription as well as any other identifying marks.

Surrey RCMP is asking public’s help in locating the rightful owner of a found ring