Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 14 May, 2021 04:49 PM
  • Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

The City of Surrey moves a step closer in eliminating the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags and other single-use Items.  Council approved the Communication and Education Plan to prepare businesses for the ban on plastic bags and foam takeout container and cups, planned to begin in November 2021.

“I’m proud that Surrey is anticipated to be the first city in the Metro Vancouver region to implement a ban on plastic checkout bags,” says Mayor McCallum.  “Council has been leading the way on green initiatives and this step is proof of the measures we are prepared to take to protect and better our environment. This move affirms Surrey’s commitment to reducing landfill waste and pollution created by these types of materials. In the coming months, we will be working closely with our business community to support them on this very important initiative that is good for our citizens, our communities and our City.”

The City will lead a comprehensive communication and education plan to help businesses phase out and eliminate the use and distribution of plastic checkout bags, foam cups and take-out containers. The plan outlines key tools, resources and awareness activities which will prepare businesses and the public for the upcoming ban.

The plan will include:

  • A business toolkit;
  • Virtual information sessions;
  • Brochures; and
  • Additional engagement activities and resources.

Other municipalities, provinces, and the federal government are making similar commitments to reducing unnecessary waste and pollution caused by short-lived plastics that are designed for limited use with limited recyclability.

For more information, visit surrey.ca/singleuse.

Photo courtesy of Istock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspected impaired driver crashes into roadblock on Highway 99

Suspected impaired driver crashes into roadblock on Highway 99
The driver of the civilian vehicle was arrested for impaired operation of a motor vehicle.

Suspected impaired driver crashes into roadblock on Highway 99

Pipeline politics back before Commons committee

Pipeline politics back before Commons committee
Michigan has refused to concede that the state's own experts have concluded there are no clear alternatives to the pipeline, he wrote to the governor in a letter earlier this year.

Pipeline politics back before Commons committee

Minister defends attack petition on Bigfoot movie

Minister defends attack petition on Bigfoot movie
Sonya Savage also says it’s critical to push back constantly against any false narrative that casts Alberta’s wellspring industry in a negative light.

Minister defends attack petition on Bigfoot movie

Surrey Vaisakhi parade cancelled for 2021 due to COVID19

Surrey Vaisakhi parade cancelled for 2021 due to COVID19
The event was to take place in Surrey on April 24th. The Surrey Vaisakhi parade is the largest in Canada and outside of India drawing crowds in excess of over half a million. 

Surrey Vaisakhi parade cancelled for 2021 due to COVID19

Wanted: Ideas to prepare for next major calamity

Wanted: Ideas to prepare for next major calamity
The notice says these fall somewhere between relatively common events such as seasonal floods and highly improbably risks such as an asteroid hitting Earth.

Wanted: Ideas to prepare for next major calamity

O'Toole says he wouldn't cut foreign aid

O'Toole says he wouldn't cut foreign aid
O'Toole says a Conservative government also wouldn't cut aid funding, but would place a greater focus on measuring outcomes associated with that money.

O'Toole says he wouldn't cut foreign aid