Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 14 May, 2021 04:49 PM
  • Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

The City of Surrey moves a step closer in eliminating the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags and other single-use Items.  Council approved the Communication and Education Plan to prepare businesses for the ban on plastic bags and foam takeout container and cups, planned to begin in November 2021.

“I’m proud that Surrey is anticipated to be the first city in the Metro Vancouver region to implement a ban on plastic checkout bags,” says Mayor McCallum.  “Council has been leading the way on green initiatives and this step is proof of the measures we are prepared to take to protect and better our environment. This move affirms Surrey’s commitment to reducing landfill waste and pollution created by these types of materials. In the coming months, we will be working closely with our business community to support them on this very important initiative that is good for our citizens, our communities and our City.”

The City will lead a comprehensive communication and education plan to help businesses phase out and eliminate the use and distribution of plastic checkout bags, foam cups and take-out containers. The plan outlines key tools, resources and awareness activities which will prepare businesses and the public for the upcoming ban.

The plan will include:

  • A business toolkit;
  • Virtual information sessions;
  • Brochures; and
  • Additional engagement activities and resources.

Other municipalities, provinces, and the federal government are making similar commitments to reducing unnecessary waste and pollution caused by short-lived plastics that are designed for limited use with limited recyclability.

For more information, visit surrey.ca/singleuse.

Photo courtesy of Istock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

AstraZeneca vaccine OK for seniors: NACI

AstraZeneca vaccine OK for seniors: NACI
The decision reverses a recommendation made by the body two weeks ago when the panel of vaccine experts said AstraZeneca hadn't included enough people over the age of 65 in its clinical trials.

AstraZeneca vaccine OK for seniors: NACI

Officials face battle of confidence in AstraZeneca

Officials face battle of confidence in AstraZeneca
Infectious disease doctor Zain Chagla says it's an important message, but confusing for Canadians as Germany and other European countries move to limit the vaccine's use while they investigate reports of blood clots emerging after some inoculations.

Officials face battle of confidence in AstraZeneca

Canada and Germany ink deal on green energy

Canada and Germany ink deal on green energy
The two countries might not see fully eye to eye on hydrogen, with Canada focusing recentlyon so-called "blue hydrogen."

Canada and Germany ink deal on green energy

First-degree murder charge in school attack

First-degree murder charge in school attack
Police said a 17-year-old female student was violently assaulted Monday morning in a classroom at Christ the King School in Leduc, just south of Edmonton.

First-degree murder charge in school attack

Edward John ordered to stand trial on sex charges

Edward John ordered to stand trial on sex charges
The BC Prosecution Service confirmed the charges against Edward John will go forward after a preliminary hearing wrapped up last week.

Edward John ordered to stand trial on sex charges

TSB to further probe deadly B.C. tug sinking

TSB to further probe deadly B.C. tug sinking
Two men died and one survived when the Ingenika sank Feb. 11 south of Kitimat while towing a barge, which remained afloat.

TSB to further probe deadly B.C. tug sinking