Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Jan, 2022 03:06 PM
  • Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

PRINCE RUPERT, B.C. - Port officials in Prince Rupert, B.C., say 2021 was a difficult year as cargo volumes fell, but they are optimistic about a strong recovery.

The Prince Rupert Port Authority released its annual cargo volumes report Tuesday showing 25 million tonnes moved through the facility last year, a 23 per cent decrease in year-over-year total volume.

Pandemic- and weather-related supply chain disruptions, loss of a core coal customer, decreased shipments due to a poor crop year and a competitive West Coast market are all listed as reasons for the shortfall.

The statement from Shaun Stevenson, president and CEO of the port authority, says despite the upheavals, the port worked to streamline and accelerate the movement of containers while new expedited rail services to Toronto and Chicago will move cargo "at a record pace."

Stevenson says an inaugural shipment of liquefied petroleum gas also left the Watson Island terminal in April as several LPG facilities at the port were either commissioned or opened last year.

Other infrastructure projects in 2021 included the expansion of the Fairview Container Terminal and the addition of an eighth loading crane capable of servicing the largest vessels currently afloat.

The port's employers, industries and labour organizations also launched the Port of Prince Rupert Gateway Council, releasing an economic impact study showing Gateway operations in 2020 handled roughly $60 billion in trade and supported an estimated 3,700 direct jobs in northern B.C.

Effects of the pandemic, forest fires, floods and supply chain uncertainties all underscored the need for more investment and diversification in the Prince Rupert Gateway to offset future disruptions, Stevenson says in the release.

“By expanding, we hope to continue be a key economic driver in northern B.C. for the benefit of all and will be better positioned to offer Canadian industries supply chain security as the global economy rebounds from the effects of the pandemic,” he said.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Judge issues reasons for rejecting Meng evidence

Judge issues reasons for rejecting Meng evidence
Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes ruled July 9 against admitting the evidence but her reasons for the judgment were not released until Wednesday. 

Judge issues reasons for rejecting Meng evidence

78 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

78 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
81.1% (3,507,707) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 59.0% (2,552,325) have received their second dose.

78 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

VPD investigates homicide in Strathcona

VPD investigates homicide in Strathcona
Two suspects fled the scene and have not been located. VPD investigators believe the incident was targeted.

VPD investigates homicide in Strathcona

Experts concerned about vaccine complacency

Experts concerned about vaccine complacency
Canada's demand for COVID-19 vaccines is slowly dropping, experts say, and they warn those waiting to see whether cases spike before getting their jabs are wasting time the body needs to build sufficient immunity.

Experts concerned about vaccine complacency

Body found inside burned vehicle in Langley: IHIT

Body found inside burned vehicle in Langley: IHIT
Once the fire was extinguished, a body was located inside the burned red Ford F-150 pickup. The area surrounding the scene will be cordoned off for a significant amount of time.

Body found inside burned vehicle in Langley: IHIT

Man shot near Brownsville Pub at Old Yale Rd: Surrey RCMP

Man shot near Brownsville Pub at Old Yale Rd: Surrey RCMP
At approximately 1:14 a.m. on July 19, 2021, Surrey RCMP Frontline responded to a report of an injured man under the Patullo Bridge. Frontline officers located the man suffering from apparent gunshot wounds.

Man shot near Brownsville Pub at Old Yale Rd: Surrey RCMP