Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
CALGARY — The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.
 
Connor Neurauter, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference in a Kamloops, B.C., court in November. Another charge of possession of child pornography was later dropped.
 
Earlier this month, Neurauter was sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years probation. The B.C. prosecution service says the judge permitted him to delay serving all but one day of his sentence until May 4.
 
In interviews with Postmedia and CBC News, the victim's mother said Neurauter was given special treatment by the courts throughout the trial and that it's unfair he has the opportunity finish his semester before going to jail.
 
The mother cannot be identified because of a publication ban meant to protect the victim, who was 13 at the time of the offence.
 
By Thursday morning, more than 40,000 people had signed the petition urging the university to expel Neurauter.
 
"While the courts have seemingly failed the victim, the University of Calgary now has the opportunity to help change the narrative of this story," the petition says.
 
The university said in a statement that it is reviewing the situation and that Neurauter is not on campus this week.
 
His mother, Susan Neurauter, said the university has asked him to stay off campus.
 
"They're saying they're concerned for him having a successful educational experience and that they won't be able to keep him safe," she said.
 
She added that her son has been threatened online and she's heard students are demanding class lists to find out where he's going to be on campus.  
 
She said there's nothing unusual about a court allowing an intermittent sentence and her son was not given any special treatment.
 
"They offered him an opportunity to better himself and I don't understand what the problem is with that."
 
By taking a plea bargain, Neurauter gave up his opportunity to tell his side of the story in court, his mother said. His choice was meant to minimize the impact on the victim, she said.
 
"Of course he has regrets and remorse, but he was making an effort to not only acknowledge that, but put this behind him."

MORE National ARTICLES

Ferry Service Resumes But No Power For Thousands Of Vancouver Island Customers

Ferry Service Resumes But No Power For Thousands Of Vancouver Island Customers
 Ferry service has resumed on two routes between Tsawwassen and Vancouver Island after high winds cancelled sailings on Monday.

Ferry Service Resumes But No Power For Thousands Of Vancouver Island Customers

Amid Complaints, Quebec Town Forbids Nudity In Pool Locker Rooms

Amid Complaints, Quebec Town Forbids Nudity In Pool Locker Rooms
A Montreal-area town has decided to forbid all nudity in the locker rooms of its municipal pools — a level of discretion that has one man wondering if it doesn't go too far. 

Amid Complaints, Quebec Town Forbids Nudity In Pool Locker Rooms

Justin Trudeau Raises Concerns With Rodrigo Duterte Over Bloody Drug War In The Philippines

Justin Trudeau Raises Concerns With Rodrigo Duterte Over Bloody Drug War In The Philippines
Speaking to reporters in Manila after a summit of Southeast Asian countries, Trudeau says he told Duterte about the need for the rule of law in the Philippines.

Justin Trudeau Raises Concerns With Rodrigo Duterte Over Bloody Drug War In The Philippines

Filipinos Urge Justin Trudeau To Take Out Canadian Trash Still Festering In Manila

Filipinos Urge Justin Trudeau To Take Out Canadian Trash Still Festering In Manila
The household waste, which includes soiled diapers, has been rotting in about 100 shipping containers at the port for four years.

Filipinos Urge Justin Trudeau To Take Out Canadian Trash Still Festering In Manila

3 Missing Chinese Students, Believed To Be Victims Of Ransom Scam, Found: Police

3 Missing Chinese Students, Believed To Be Victims Of Ransom Scam, Found: Police
 Police say three people believed to be victims of a scam targeting Chinese students have been located.

3 Missing Chinese Students, Believed To Be Victims Of Ransom Scam, Found: Police

N.S. Retiree Cites 'Vulgar' Government Ads In Bid To Get Licence Plate Back

N.S. Retiree Cites 'Vulgar' Government Ads In Bid To Get Licence Plate Back
The provincial government withdrew Lorne Grabher's licence plate — it reads simply, "Grabher" — after officials agreed with a complainant that it was a "socially unacceptable slogan."

N.S. Retiree Cites 'Vulgar' Government Ads In Bid To Get Licence Plate Back