Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
CALGARY — The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.
 
Connor Neurauter, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference in a Kamloops, B.C., court in November. Another charge of possession of child pornography was later dropped.
 
Earlier this month, Neurauter was sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years probation. The B.C. prosecution service says the judge permitted him to delay serving all but one day of his sentence until May 4.
 
In interviews with Postmedia and CBC News, the victim's mother said Neurauter was given special treatment by the courts throughout the trial and that it's unfair he has the opportunity finish his semester before going to jail.
 
The mother cannot be identified because of a publication ban meant to protect the victim, who was 13 at the time of the offence.
 
By Thursday morning, more than 40,000 people had signed the petition urging the university to expel Neurauter.
 
"While the courts have seemingly failed the victim, the University of Calgary now has the opportunity to help change the narrative of this story," the petition says.
 
The university said in a statement that it is reviewing the situation and that Neurauter is not on campus this week.
 
His mother, Susan Neurauter, said the university has asked him to stay off campus.
 
"They're saying they're concerned for him having a successful educational experience and that they won't be able to keep him safe," she said.
 
She added that her son has been threatened online and she's heard students are demanding class lists to find out where he's going to be on campus.  
 
She said there's nothing unusual about a court allowing an intermittent sentence and her son was not given any special treatment.
 
"They offered him an opportunity to better himself and I don't understand what the problem is with that."
 
By taking a plea bargain, Neurauter gave up his opportunity to tell his side of the story in court, his mother said. His choice was meant to minimize the impact on the victim, she said.
 
"Of course he has regrets and remorse, but he was making an effort to not only acknowledge that, but put this behind him."

MORE National ARTICLES

Victims Of Sexual Assaults Will Now Have Access To Free, Independent Legal Advice In Nova Scotia

Ottawa has provided $810,000 for the federal-provincial pilot project, in which victims will received up to four hours of free legal advice.

Victims Of Sexual Assaults Will Now Have Access To Free, Independent Legal Advice In Nova Scotia

Toronto-Area Woman Facing Terror Charges In Alleged Canadian Tire Attack To Be Tried In 2018

Toronto-Area Woman Facing Terror Charges In Alleged Canadian Tire Attack To Be Tried In 2018
  Rehab Dughmosh, 32, will face a judge and jury starting May 28, 2018 for what is expected to be a three-week trial.

Toronto-Area Woman Facing Terror Charges In Alleged Canadian Tire Attack To Be Tried In 2018

British Columbia Boosts Drug-Checking Service In Fight Against Overdoses

British Columbia Boosts Drug-Checking Service In Fight Against Overdoses
British Columbia is going to test a new drug-checking service in Vancouver to determine if it will help cut the soaring number of overdose deaths in the province.

British Columbia Boosts Drug-Checking Service In Fight Against Overdoses

RCMP End Search Of British Columbia Farm Where Human Remains Found

SALMON ARM , B.C. — The RCMP have completed their search of a British Columbia farm where the remains of an 18-year-old woman were found.

RCMP End Search Of British Columbia Farm Where Human Remains Found

Man Remembers Slain Officer As An 'Incredible Person' After He Was Pulled Over

Man Remembers Slain Officer As An 'Incredible Person' After He Was Pulled Over
 Warren Banks was driving home on Halloween wearing his costume — a brown cultist robe — when he was pulled over by a police officer in Abbotsford, B.C.

Man Remembers Slain Officer As An 'Incredible Person' After He Was Pulled Over

Canadian Govt Set To Open Its 'Floodgates' For Immigrants, Allowing Up To 3,10,000 Newcomers In 2018

Canadian Govt Set To Open Its 'Floodgates' For Immigrants, Allowing Up To 3,10,000 Newcomers In 2018
In what may bring cheer to thousands of Indians, especially from Punjab, looking for greener pastures abroad, the Canadian Government is set to open its “floodgates” for immigrants, allowing up to 3,10,000 newcomers in 2018.

Canadian Govt Set To Open Its 'Floodgates' For Immigrants, Allowing Up To 3,10,000 Newcomers In 2018