Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Man Arrested After Shots Fired At RCMP Detachment On N.B. First Nation

    Man Arrested After Shots Fired At RCMP Detachment On N.B. First Nation
    TOBIQUE, N.B. — One man is in custody after shots were fired into the RCMP detachment on the Tobique First Nation in western New Brunswick.  

    Man Arrested After Shots Fired At RCMP Detachment On N.B. First Nation

    With Baby In Tow, Karina Gould Back To Hill On Big Day For Electoral Reform Bill

    With Baby In Tow, Karina Gould Back To Hill On Big Day For Electoral Reform Bill
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau adopted a new junior cabinet minister of sorts today as he welcomed the return of Karina Gould to his inner circle.

    With Baby In Tow, Karina Gould Back To Hill On Big Day For Electoral Reform Bill

    PCs, Liberals Aim Attacks At NDP As Polls Put Them At Same Support As PCs

    PCs, Liberals Aim Attacks At NDP As Polls Put Them At Same Support As PCs
    Both the Progressive Conservatives and the Liberals set their sights on the NDP on Tuesday as new polls suggest the party is tied for the most support in the Ontario election.

    PCs, Liberals Aim Attacks At NDP As Polls Put Them At Same Support As PCs

    How A 94-Year-Old Retiree Paul Russell Became A Gym Rat

    How A 94-Year-Old Retiree Paul Russell Became A Gym Rat
    Here's what makes him different: Russell is 94 — so old he has been retired longer than his personal trainer has been alive.

    How A 94-Year-Old Retiree Paul Russell Became A Gym Rat

    Rachel Notley To Skip Premiers Conference So She Can Focus On Pipeline Deal

    Rachel Notley To Skip Premiers Conference So She Can Focus On Pipeline Deal
    There won't be any fireworks between the premiers of Alberta and British Columbia at the Western premiers conference this week, because Alberta Premier Rachel Notley isn't going.

    Rachel Notley To Skip Premiers Conference So She Can Focus On Pipeline Deal

    Man Facing Deportation From Canada Says Terror Accusation Resulted In PTSD

    Man Facing Deportation From Canada Says Terror Accusation Resulted In PTSD
    Othman Hamdan has told an Immigration and Refugee Board hearing that he was living a peaceful life in Fort St. John when he was arrested for allegedly calling for lone wolf attacks through Facebook.

    Man Facing Deportation From Canada Says Terror Accusation Resulted In PTSD