Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Prices At The Pump Headed Higher As Long Weekend Brings Out Canadian Drivers

    Prices At The Pump Headed Higher As Long Weekend Brings Out Canadian Drivers
    CALGARY — Motorists in many parts of Canada are expected to see rising gasoline prices as they fire up their vehicles for road adventures on the Victoria Day long weekend.

    Prices At The Pump Headed Higher As Long Weekend Brings Out Canadian Drivers

    Arrested Taqdir Gill To Face Conspiracy And Weapons Charges

    Arrested Taqdir Gill To Face Conspiracy And Weapons Charges
    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver police and British Columbia's integrated anti-gang agency say they have worked together to dismantle a "violent crime group."

    Arrested Taqdir Gill To Face Conspiracy And Weapons Charges

    Trans Mountain Pipeline Won't Cause Tension With Notley At Meeting: John Horgan

    Trans Mountain Pipeline Won't Cause Tension With Notley At Meeting: John Horgan
    LANGFORD, B.C. — The premiers of British Columbia and Alberta will join their counterparts from Western Canada at a meeting next week, but John Horgan doesn't expect any drama over the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project.

    Trans Mountain Pipeline Won't Cause Tension With Notley At Meeting: John Horgan

    AMANJOT SINGH HANS, 31, Of Surrey Identified As Langley Langley Gas Station Shooting Victim

    AMANJOT SINGH HANS, 31, Of Surrey Identified As Langley Langley Gas Station Shooting Victim
    The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said 31-year-old Amanjot Singh Hans of Surrey was shot and killed in what appears to be a targeted attack.

    AMANJOT SINGH HANS, 31, Of Surrey Identified As Langley Langley Gas Station Shooting Victim

    Victim Of Richmond Homicide Identified As 42-Yr-Old Gregory Joseph Scuby

    Victim Of Richmond Homicide Identified As 42-Yr-Old Gregory Joseph Scuby
    A man has been found dead in Richmond, B.C., and homicide investigators have taken over the case.

    Victim Of Richmond Homicide Identified As 42-Yr-Old Gregory Joseph Scuby

    Pregnant Woman Loses Unborn Child In Targeted Shooting In Vancouver: Police

    Pregnant Woman Loses Unborn Child In Targeted Shooting In Vancouver: Police
    Const. Jason Doucette says the 31-year-old woman from Vancouver was in the third trimester of her pregnancy and she was taken to hospital in critical condition.

    Pregnant Woman Loses Unborn Child In Targeted Shooting In Vancouver: Police