Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Millennials Embrace Royal Wedding For Pushing Traditions

    Laura Moniz was never especially interested in the British royal family, but she is going all out to celebrate the upcoming wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

    Millennials Embrace Royal Wedding For Pushing Traditions

    Filmmaker Receives Non-Binary Birth Certificate After Legal Battle With Ontario

    Filmmaker Receives Non-Binary Birth Certificate After Legal Battle With Ontario
    An Ontario-born filmmaker has been issued a non-binary birth certificate after a year-long legal battle with the provincial government.

    Filmmaker Receives Non-Binary Birth Certificate After Legal Battle With Ontario

    US Navy Veteran Sentenced To Life For Killing Indian Techie

    US Navy Veteran Sentenced To Life For Killing Indian Techie
    A US Navy veteran was on Friday sentenced to life imprisonment for killing Indian engineer Srinivas Kuchibhotla in a racially motivated hate crime at a bar in Kansas City last year.

    US Navy Veteran Sentenced To Life For Killing Indian Techie

    B.C. High School Students Who Suffered In Silence Now Helping Others

    B.C. High School Students Who Suffered In Silence Now Helping Others
    VANCOUVER — At his lowest point in Grade 10, Joshua Ramos would walk the streets of his neighbourhood at midnight wearing headphones and wish for the music to drown out the dark thoughts that followed him everywhere.

    B.C. High School Students Who Suffered In Silence Now Helping Others

    Surrey RCMP Seek Suspect Who Appeared To Masturbate In Guildford Heights Park

    Surrey RCMP Seek Suspect Who Appeared To Masturbate In Guildford Heights Park
    Surrey RCMP is advising the public of an investigation of an indecent act which is alleged to have taken place in the Guildford area. Investigators are asking for public assistance to identify the suspect.

    Surrey RCMP Seek Suspect Who Appeared To Masturbate In Guildford Heights Park

    2 Canadian Men Die In Weekend Michigan Crash

    Two Canadians are dead after a small plane crashed at an airport in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

    2 Canadian Men Die In Weekend Michigan Crash