Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Killer Of B.C. Gang Leader Jonathan Bacon Gets Life Without Parole For 18 Years

    Killer Of B.C. Gang Leader Jonathan Bacon Gets Life Without Parole For 18 Years
    B.C. Supreme Court Justice Allan Betton sentenced Jason McBride on Wednesday for the second-degree murder of Jonathan Bacon. 

    Killer Of B.C. Gang Leader Jonathan Bacon Gets Life Without Parole For 18 Years

    Rental-Only Zones In B.C. Could Result In Lower Land Prices: Experts

    Rental-Only Zones In B.C. Could Result In Lower Land Prices: Experts
    VANCOUVER — A proposal that would give cities in British Columbia the power to zone land for rental housing could moderate the price of affected properties, experts say.

    Rental-Only Zones In B.C. Could Result In Lower Land Prices: Experts

    RCMP Charge Southern Alberta Man After Woman's Horses Sold To Slaughterhouse

    RCMP Charge Southern Alberta Man After Woman's Horses Sold To Slaughterhouse
    STIRLING, Alta. — A man in southern Alberta is facing charges after a woman's two horses were sold to a slaughterhouse and processed without her knowledge.

    RCMP Charge Southern Alberta Man After Woman's Horses Sold To Slaughterhouse

    Syrian Refugees Struggle Financially But Happy In Canada: Advocates

    Syrian Refugees Struggle Financially But Happy In Canada: Advocates
    Many Syrian refugees are struggling to find employment and afford life in Canada, but they are gradually settling in and still happy they came, advocates said.

    Syrian Refugees Struggle Financially But Happy In Canada: Advocates

    Vancouver Aquarium CEO John Nightingale Announces Retirement After 25 Years

    VANCOUVER — The man who has led the Vancouver Aquarium for the last 25 years and helped create its ocean conservation organization, Ocean Wise, has announced his retirement.

    Vancouver Aquarium CEO John Nightingale Announces Retirement After 25 Years

    Victoria Boy Suffers ‘Potentially Life-altering Injuries’ After Playground Robbery

    Victoria Boy Suffers ‘Potentially Life-altering Injuries’ After Playground Robbery
    Victoria police say an unnamed youth has potentially life-altering injuries after being robbed and attacked at a playground in the city.

    Victoria Boy Suffers ‘Potentially Life-altering Injuries’ After Playground Robbery