Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Still Investigating: RCMP Say Too Early To Know What Happened In Broncos Crash

    Still Investigating: RCMP Say Too Early To Know What Happened In Broncos Crash
    REGINA — Police say it's too early to say what happened in a fatal bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team and whether charges will be laid.

    Still Investigating: RCMP Say Too Early To Know What Happened In Broncos Crash

    Man Accused Of Killing Abbotsford, B.C., School Girl Is Unfit For Trial: Lawyer

    Man Accused Of Killing Abbotsford, B.C., School Girl Is Unfit For Trial: Lawyer
    A defence lawyer says his client's ongoing psychosis makes him unfit to stand trial for the murder of a high school girl in Abbotsford, B.C.

    Man Accused Of Killing Abbotsford, B.C., School Girl Is Unfit For Trial: Lawyer

    B.C. Family Appeals To The Public In Decade-Old Disappearance Of Man

    B.C. Family Appeals To The Public In Decade-Old Disappearance Of Man
    SURREY, B.C. — The family of a British Columbia man missing for a decade is pleading for any help in solving what the police are treating as a homicide.

    B.C. Family Appeals To The Public In Decade-Old Disappearance Of Man

    Trudeau Government Rejects Liberal MPs' Call For Decriminalization Of All Drugs

    Trudeau Government Rejects Liberal MPs' Call For Decriminalization Of All Drugs
    The Trudeau government is rejecting a call from its own backbenchers to decriminalize all illicit drug use in Canada — just days before Liberals are set to debate the idea at a national convention in Halifax.

    Trudeau Government Rejects Liberal MPs' Call For Decriminalization Of All Drugs

    City Of Vancouver One Step Closer To Allowing Liquor Sales In Grocery Stores

    City Of Vancouver One Step Closer To Allowing Liquor Sales In Grocery Stores
    Councillors voted Tuesday to approve zoning bylaw amendments that will permit grocery stores to sell liquor.

    City Of Vancouver One Step Closer To Allowing Liquor Sales In Grocery Stores

    Vancouver Adopts Bylaw To Cut Watering To Two Days During Summer Months

    Vancouver Adopts Bylaw To Cut Watering To Two Days During Summer Months
    Despite an unusually wet April, the City of Vancouver is looking ahead to the parched days of summer as it announces new watering restrictions, beginning May 1.

    Vancouver Adopts Bylaw To Cut Watering To Two Days During Summer Months