Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    From Shelter To Castle: The 'Fairy Tale' Of Meghan Markle's Ontario-Adopted Pup

    From Shelter To Castle: The 'Fairy Tale' Of Meghan Markle's Ontario-Adopted Pup
    A dog adopted from an Ontario rescue home has proved to be of royal pedigree after having been whisked off to the United Kingdom to live with owner Meghan Markle and Prince Harry.

    From Shelter To Castle: The 'Fairy Tale' Of Meghan Markle's Ontario-Adopted Pup

    Saanich, B.C., Police Still Looking For Clues In Young Man's Death 45 Years Ago

    Saanich, B.C., Police Still Looking For Clues In Young Man's Death 45 Years Ago
    Police on Vancouver Island are again looking for clues in the death of a young man nearly 45 years ago.

    Saanich, B.C., Police Still Looking For Clues In Young Man's Death 45 Years Ago

    Sri Lankan Asylum Seeker Allegedly Killed By McArthur Led A Lonely Life: Friends

    Sri Lankan Asylum Seeker Allegedly Killed By McArthur Led A Lonely Life: Friends
    The latest alleged victim of accused serial killer Bruce McArthur was a Sri Lankan asylum seeker who fled his war-ravaged country in hopes of building a better life for himself in Canada, those who knew him said Tuesday.

    Sri Lankan Asylum Seeker Allegedly Killed By McArthur Led A Lonely Life: Friends

    Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne Calls Doug Ford A ‘Bully,' Says He's Just Like Trump

    Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne Calls Doug Ford A ‘Bully,' Says He's Just Like Trump
    Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne says her Tory opponent is just like U.S. President Donald Trump, calling Doug Ford a bully and a coward who "traffics in smears and lies."

    Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne Calls Doug Ford A ‘Bully,' Says He's Just Like Trump

    Toronto Neurosurgeon Mohammed Shamji Charged With Killing Wife To Stand Trial Next Year

    Toronto Neurosurgeon Mohammed Shamji Charged With Killing Wife To Stand Trial Next Year
    A Toronto neurosurgeon accused of killing his physician wife will stand trial next year, a judge ordered Wednesday.

    Toronto Neurosurgeon Mohammed Shamji Charged With Killing Wife To Stand Trial Next Year

    Designers Lining Up To Dress Ontario Teen Faith Dickinson Headed To Royal Wedding

    Designers Lining Up To Dress Ontario Teen Faith Dickinson Headed To Royal Wedding
    A 15-year-old Ontario girl who scored an invitation to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding says she's now being approached by designers who want to dress her for the big event.

    Designers Lining Up To Dress Ontario Teen Faith Dickinson Headed To Royal Wedding