Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Aug, 2023 10:33 AM
  • Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

A labour researcher says he hopes the federal government doesn't rush to intervene in British Columbia's port dispute, even if union members reject a tentative deal with employers today.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada concludes the two-day vote at 6 p.m., after a tumultuous period that included a 13-day shutdown of more than 30 port terminals and other sites last month.

McGill University associate professor Barry Eidlin says he hopes the federal government lets the dispute be resolved at the negotiating table, regardless of the vote's outcome.

He says the prospect of federal intervention represents "backsliding to a past era" when workers' fundamental rights weren't respected.

The tentative contract between the union and the BC Maritime Employers Association was announced on Sunday, a day after federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose a deal or binding arbitration if it decides a negotiated resolution isn't possible.

Union leaders say workers' key concerns relate to automation and the contracting out of maintenance work, both of which present fundamental challenges to the future of port jobs.

The strike from July 1 to 13 ended when a previous tentative deal was struck, but union members rejected it in a vote on July 28, triggering O'Regan's order for the industrial relations board to get involved.

MORE National ARTICLES

Tamanawis Secondary School stabbing victim identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey

Tamanawis Secondary School stabbing victim identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey
Just after noon on Tuesday, a teenager died after being stabbed at Tamanawis Secondary School. The victim is being identified as 18-year old Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey. A 17-year old has been identified was located and taken into custody.

Tamanawis Secondary School stabbing victim identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey

Vehicle involved in shooting fireworks at pedestrians

Vehicle involved in shooting fireworks at pedestrians
The victim and a friend were on 148 Street near the intersection of 104 Avenue and 148 Street when a small, white, 4-door hatchback (with a sunroof) drove slowly past them and an occupant of the vehicle fired a firework directly at the two pedestrians. The firework hit the victim’s forehead and minor injuries were sustained.

Vehicle involved in shooting fireworks at pedestrians

B.C. study looks at myocarditis risk of COVID shot

B.C. study looks at myocarditis risk of COVID shot
Lead author Dr. Naveed Janjua, an epidemiologist at the BC Centre for Disease Control, said the findings related to second doses for both vaccines show men between the ages of 18 and 29 are most at risk of myocarditis if they received Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine.

B.C. study looks at myocarditis risk of COVID shot

Compliance expert praises B.C. asset seizure plan

Compliance expert praises B.C. asset seizure plan
Premier David Eby said on Sunday that legislation to allow unexplained wealth orders would be introduced next spring. Such orders were recommended in June in the final report of a commission of inquiry into money laundering in B.C. by retired judge Austin Cullen

Compliance expert praises B.C. asset seizure plan

B.C. Premier David Eby's housing bills move ahead

B.C. Premier David Eby's housing bills move ahead
The legislation aims to increase housing supply with measures that will end several rental restrictions and have the potential to force local governments to meet housing growth targets.

B.C. Premier David Eby's housing bills move ahead

Two at large after Coquitlam, B.C., robbery, chase

Two at large after Coquitlam, B.C., robbery, chase
A statement from Coquitlam RCMP says officers were called to an armed robbery at a car dealership in Port Coquitlam just before 4 p.m., Tuesday. Police say four suspects fled in a stolen vehicle and responding officers were involved in an exchange of gunfire before the stolen sedan crashed along Highway 1 in Coquitlam and the four fled.

Two at large after Coquitlam, B.C., robbery, chase