Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Aug, 2023 10:33 AM
  • Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

A labour researcher says he hopes the federal government doesn't rush to intervene in British Columbia's port dispute, even if union members reject a tentative deal with employers today.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada concludes the two-day vote at 6 p.m., after a tumultuous period that included a 13-day shutdown of more than 30 port terminals and other sites last month.

McGill University associate professor Barry Eidlin says he hopes the federal government lets the dispute be resolved at the negotiating table, regardless of the vote's outcome.

He says the prospect of federal intervention represents "backsliding to a past era" when workers' fundamental rights weren't respected.

The tentative contract between the union and the BC Maritime Employers Association was announced on Sunday, a day after federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose a deal or binding arbitration if it decides a negotiated resolution isn't possible.

Union leaders say workers' key concerns relate to automation and the contracting out of maintenance work, both of which present fundamental challenges to the future of port jobs.

The strike from July 1 to 13 ended when a previous tentative deal was struck, but union members rejected it in a vote on July 28, triggering O'Regan's order for the industrial relations board to get involved.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. to bring in housing supply, rental changes

B.C. to bring in housing supply, rental changes
Premier David Eby, who was sworn in on Friday, says housing is one of the most critical issues that he will immediately address. The legislation includes provisions that allow the province to force municipal compliance, although the government says it doesn't expect that will be necessary for communities facing a housing crisis.

B.C. to bring in housing supply, rental changes

One dead, another hurt in B.C. mall shooting

One dead, another hurt in B.C. mall shooting
Police say they were called to the mall Monday morning for a "serious police incident." Staff Sgt. Dave Uppal says that they know of the trauma this shooting will have on many people and supports are in place for those who may need help.

One dead, another hurt in B.C. mall shooting

Ex-mayor of Surrey, B.C., not guilty of mischief

Ex-mayor of Surrey, B.C., not guilty of mischief
McCallum said in brief remarks outside the courthouse Monday that he was “pleased with the decision.” He thanked his lawyers for “their tremendous efforts,” his family for “understanding and supporting me,” and the media for their “sensitivity” covering the case. “And to the people of Surrey, I love you. I love all of you,” he said.  

Ex-mayor of Surrey, B.C., not guilty of mischief

VPD investigates after East Van diners robbed at gun-point

VPD investigates after East Van diners robbed at gun-point
Two men with guns entered the restaurant, near Commercial Drive and Kitchener Street, at the height of Sunday brunch. They pointed the weapons at staff and patrons, ordering the victims to hand over cellular phones and other valuables, then fled in a vehicle.

VPD investigates after East Van diners robbed at gun-point

Woman robbed while trying to withdraw money from an East Van ATM over the weekend

Woman robbed while trying to withdraw money from an East Van ATM over the weekend
The 34-year-old victim was attempting to use a bank machine near Broadway and Commercial around 10 p.m. Saturday when she was approached by a stranger who asked for a cigarette. The victim refused, and the man allegedly shoved her against a wall and demanded money.

Woman robbed while trying to withdraw money from an East Van ATM over the weekend

B.C. Premier Eby to share plans for housing crisis

B.C. Premier Eby to share plans for housing crisis
His proposed plan would fast-track affordable housing by speeding approvals, use government land for some projects, make all secondary suites across the province legal and allow homebuilders to replace a single-family house with up to three units on the same lot.  

B.C. Premier Eby to share plans for housing crisis