Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Search continues for more bodies in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2021 12:14 PM
  • Search continues for more bodies in B.C.

The Canadian Armed Forces has been called in to help with recovery efforts in flood-stricken B.C., with the provincial government declaring a state of emergency.

The military will provide both air and land support for critical provincial supply chains and in evacuation and rescue efforts.

Premier John Horgan says travel restrictions will be introduced to ensure essential goods and medical and emergency services can reach communities.

Defence Minister Anita Anand says more troops will be sent to help the hardest-hit communities.

Crews will continue to search through debris left by landslides along Highway 99 near Lillooet and Highway 7 near Agassiz to determine if any vehicles were caught underneath.

No bodies were recovered Wednesday, but at least two people are still reported missing.

B.C. Agriculture Minister Lana Popham says thousands of farm animals died when parts of the Fraser Valley flooded, and efforts are underway to develop routes to allow veterinarians to access farms and treat what livestock may have survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Meng's legal team gives alternative narrative: AG

Meng's legal team gives alternative narrative: AG
Meng's defence team has argued there was no risk to HSBC and the bank was entirely responsible for its own decision to clear a financial transaction through the United States, putting it at risk of violating American sanctions.

Meng's legal team gives alternative narrative: AG

Rail companies sued in Lytton, B.C., wildfire

Rail companies sued in Lytton, B.C., wildfire
The B.C. Supreme Court statement of claim alleges the fire was set off by heat or sparks emanating from a CP freight train operated by CN employees on tracks owned by CN.

Rail companies sued in Lytton, B.C., wildfire

New 8 lane tunnel to replace George Massey Tunnel by 2030

New 8 lane tunnel to replace George Massey Tunnel by 2030
A new eight-lane immersed-tube tunnel will replace the George Massey Tunnel on Highway 99, providing people a toll-free crossing that aligns with regional interests and improves transit, cycling and walking connections across the Fraser River.

New 8 lane tunnel to replace George Massey Tunnel by 2030

Meng extradition hearing enters final day

Meng extradition hearing enters final day
The B.C. Supreme Court judge is expected to reserve her decision following the submissions as she considers whether the United States has presented enough evidence of fraud to support its case and have the Huawei executive extradited to face charges.

Meng extradition hearing enters final day

Coyote bites midnight picnickers in Stanley Park

Coyote bites midnight picnickers in Stanley Park
Nearly three dozen aggressive interactions have occurred between humans and coyotes in Stanley Park since late last year — including at least two since July involving injuries to young children.

Coyote bites midnight picnickers in Stanley Park

Cooler weather offers B.C. wildfire reprieve

Cooler weather offers B.C. wildfire reprieve
The B.C. Wildfire Service lists the current wildfire danger as low across most of the Kamloops Fire Centre, where at least six major fires have destroyed homes in several communities.

Cooler weather offers B.C. wildfire reprieve