Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Search continues for more bodies in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2021 12:14 PM
  • Search continues for more bodies in B.C.

The Canadian Armed Forces has been called in to help with recovery efforts in flood-stricken B.C., with the provincial government declaring a state of emergency.

The military will provide both air and land support for critical provincial supply chains and in evacuation and rescue efforts.

Premier John Horgan says travel restrictions will be introduced to ensure essential goods and medical and emergency services can reach communities.

Defence Minister Anita Anand says more troops will be sent to help the hardest-hit communities.

Crews will continue to search through debris left by landslides along Highway 99 near Lillooet and Highway 7 near Agassiz to determine if any vehicles were caught underneath.

No bodies were recovered Wednesday, but at least two people are still reported missing.

B.C. Agriculture Minister Lana Popham says thousands of farm animals died when parts of the Fraser Valley flooded, and efforts are underway to develop routes to allow veterinarians to access farms and treat what livestock may have survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Border workers issue Friday strike notice to Feds

Border workers issue Friday strike notice to Feds
The Public Service Alliance of Canada and its Customs and Immigration Union, which represent the workers, said that it served a strike notice to the government on Tuesday and is now readying its workers to up the ante.

Border workers issue Friday strike notice to Feds

Canada, U.S. each have hands full with wildfires

Canada, U.S. each have hands full with wildfires
Both will continue to be able to access other international resources if necessary, the memo notes — indeed, about 100 firefighters from Mexico recently arrived in B.C., joining a number of Canadian Armed Forces personnel — but the situation points to a challenge that's only going to get worse.

Canada, U.S. each have hands full with wildfires

Anti racism rally at Surrey's Aspen Park, Surrey RCMP say charges may be considered.

Anti racism rally at Surrey's Aspen Park, Surrey RCMP say charges may be considered.
The rally was attended by many and kids held placards with words such as End Racism.The Surrey RCMP  the investigating is ongoing, and that charges may be considered.

Anti racism rally at Surrey's Aspen Park, Surrey RCMP say charges may be considered.

RBC presents the 11th Annual DARPAN Extraordinary Achievement Awards

RBC presents the 11th Annual DARPAN Extraordinary Achievement Awards
“We are excited that RBC is joining us this year in celebrating the achievements of the South Asian community, and helping us put the event together,” say DARPAN Magazine’s publisher Ramneek Dhillon.  

RBC presents the 11th Annual DARPAN Extraordinary Achievement Awards

More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come

More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come
Fifty-four per cent of respondents to an online survey by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies say the worst of the COVID-19 crisis is already over, compared with 63 per cent who believed so in a survey last month.

More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come

Results of pandemic election won't be immediate

Results of pandemic election won't be immediate
They're part of a process Elections Canada has devised to ensure an election can be conducted safely and produce trustworthy results while the country remains in the grip of COVID-19.

Results of pandemic election won't be immediate