Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

'A moving monster': How did the Jasper fire get so bad, so fast?

'A moving monster': How did the Jasper fire get so bad, so fast?
What has happened in Jasper National Park is a "microcosm of what we're seeing across Western Canada," said wildfire risk expert and former Parks Canada wildland firefighter Mathieu Bourbonnais. More than 20,000 people in and around the Rocky Mountain townsite were ordered to evacuate last Monday.

'A moving monster': How did the Jasper fire get so bad, so fast?

Conservatives launch attack ads on NDP, calling leader 'Sellout Singh'

Conservatives launch attack ads on NDP, calling leader 'Sellout Singh'
The Conservative party released two new ads this week attacking NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh as a "sellout," blaming him for a national rise in crime, housing prices and costly living. The ads question why Singh is keeping Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in power at a time when his Liberal government is unpopular with Canadians. 

Conservatives launch attack ads on NDP, calling leader 'Sellout Singh'

B.C. sailboat captain rescued after developing 'severe' hypothermia

B.C. sailboat captain rescued after developing 'severe' hypothermia
A sailboat captain is recovering from severe hypothermia after spending several hours in the water off British Columbia's coast. A statement from Fisheries and Oceans Canada says the rescue operation began Monday when the Coast Guard received a report of an unoccupied sailboat on the shore of Cortes Island, north of the Sunshine Coast community of Lund.

B.C. sailboat captain rescued after developing 'severe' hypothermia

United Kingdom is the winner of the Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks

United Kingdom is the winner of the Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks
The UK was honoured as this year’s winner in both the People’s Choice and Judge’s Competition Award, based on a tightly choreographed performance, and in spite of stiff competition from Team Macedo Pirotecnia representing Malaysia, and Team Pyro Tact representing Portugal.

United Kingdom is the winner of the Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Remote access fraud in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster have issued a warning about what they call "remote access" or "tech support" scams, after a member of the public reported that someone else had accessed the cryptocurrency wallet on his phone. Police say the scams often begin with the victim receiving an unsolicited phone call, or they may click on a pop-up message while browsing the Internet.

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond
Mounties in Richmond say a search warrant led to the discovery of what they describe as a "sophisticated forged identification lab." R-C-M-P say they conducted the search in December 2022, and criminal charges were approved against a man in early May this year. 

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond