Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

1 in hospital in serious crash

1 in hospital in serious crash
Police in Metro Vancouver are looking for witnesses to a serious crash that sent one person to hospital yesterday morning. Delta Police say it happened along River Road at around 8 a-m, when a white Volkswagen Jetta collided with a semi-truck.

1 in hospital in serious crash

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires
Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma said the weather has offered "much-needed relief" to communities and firefighting crews. Several evacuation orders and alerts have been lifted around the Antler and Shetland creek blazes, she said.

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom
An Edmonton man has been sentenced to five years in prison after being convicted in the United Kingdom of being a member of a proscribed terrorist group. RCMP say Khaled Hussein, a Canadian citizen, also received one year on probation.

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom

Privy Council to continue anti-racism efforts, clerk says after report release

Privy Council to continue anti-racism efforts, clerk says after report release
The head of the federal public service says he is personally committed to "continuous action" to address racism and discrimination in the workplace, following the public release of an internal report that details employees' troubling experiences on the job. 

Privy Council to continue anti-racism efforts, clerk says after report release

Fortis BC to launch 10K rebate for homeowners

Fortis BC to launch 10K rebate for homeowners
Fortis B-C is launching a 10-thousand-dollar rebate for homeowners who replace older heating systems with an electric heat pump and high-efficiency gas furnace. The utility says the dual system uses the heat pump for cooling and the furnace for heating, and it will help customers cut both costs and greenhouse emissions.

Fortis BC to launch 10K rebate for homeowners

B.C. toxic drug deaths down 9% in 2024, but six people continue to die each day

B.C. toxic drug deaths down 9% in 2024, but six people continue to die each day
British Columbia's Coroners Service says the number of people who have died this year from toxic drug poisoning is down from 2023, but an average of six people are still dying every day from using illicit drugs. The service says it recorded 181 suspected drug poisoning deaths in May and 185 in June, bringing the total number of fatalities in the first half of this year to 1,158.

B.C. toxic drug deaths down 9% in 2024, but six people continue to die each day