Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Body found in Surrey home

Body found in Surrey home
Police say a man has been arrested and homicide investigators have been called in after a death in a Surrey neighbourhood last night. R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a woman with life-threatening injuries inside a home on 182A Street near Parsons Drive.

Body found in Surrey home

2 arrested in Vancouver homicide

2 arrested in Vancouver homicide
Police in Vancouver say two suspects have been arrested and released pending further investigation into a homicide in the Downtown Eastside last week.  They say officers had responded to reports of a man in medical distress in the Chinatown neighbourhood last Wednesday afternoon. 

2 arrested in Vancouver homicide

Cool air mass over southern B.C. brings in record-breaking low temperatures

Cool air mass over southern B.C. brings in record-breaking low temperatures
Environment Canada says an unseasonable cool air mass over southern B.C. has broken minimum temperature records, including one dating back about 70 years.  The forecaster says temperatures fell to 4 degrees in the Trail area on Sunday, breaking the record of 4.4 degrees set in 1954.

Cool air mass over southern B.C. brings in record-breaking low temperatures

North Vancouver's ICBC headquarters to become housing project development site

North Vancouver's ICBC headquarters to become housing project development site
The head office of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia in North Vancouver will be transformed into an urban housing development with hundreds of homes near major transit hubs.  Premier David Eby says the province has reached an agreement to buy the Crown auto insurer's waterfront headquarters with plans to develop market and below-market homes close to transit and the SeaBus to Vancouver.

North Vancouver's ICBC headquarters to become housing project development site

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle
The vehicle was later relocated abandoned in Richmond, and the driver was arrested nearby with the assistance of Richmond RCMP Gang Enforcement Team (RGET) and Vancouver Police Department Gang Crime Unit (GCU). The driver was identified as 20-year-old Gurjot Singh Bhatti.

Gurjot Singh Bhatti arrested for stolen vehicle

More housing to come near transit hubs

More housing to come near transit hubs
Premier David Eby and Transport Minister Rob Fleming are expected to make an announcement about more homes being built near transit today. There’s no word yet on what exactly the announcement is.

More housing to come near transit hubs