Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall
A new health centre dedicated to serving British Columbia's French-language speakers will open its doors this fall in Vancouver.  A statement from B.C.’s Ministry of Health says the current Vancouver Urban Health Centre cannot accommodate the needs of the Lower Mainland’s growing French-speaking community even though it offers primary care in both French and English. 

B.C.'s first health centre catering to francophone community to open in the fall

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main
Five additional areas requiring further repair along the feeder main were detected late last week, but Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek told an update Sunday that a robotic inspection of 300 metres more of the pipe found no further breaches.

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men
Mounties in Richmond are looking for witnesses to an alleged robbery in which the victim reported being attacked and robbed by as many as eight masked people. Police say the man was leaving a plaza in the area of Number 3 Road and Williams Road, where he says he was hit in the head with a weapon and his backpack was stolen.

Alleged robbery involving 8 masked men

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou
A major provincial park expansion will create a protection zone of almost 2,000 square kilometres for caribou and other species in northeastern British Columbia. The Ministry of Environment says in a statement that the addition to the Klinse-za Park will make it the largest provincial park established in the province in a decade.

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou

Dangerous driver arrested in Coquitlam

Dangerous driver arrested in Coquitlam
RCMP are crediting their Air Services team with helping in the arrest of a dangerous driver in Coquitlam. The Mounties say a motorcyclist was seen speeding and weaving in and out of traffic along Coast Meridian Road near David Avenue on May 31st.

Dangerous driver arrested in Coquitlam

3 arrested in drug seizure

3 arrested in drug seizure
Mounties in Prince George say they arrested three people after executing a search warrant at a home in the city. They say officers found about 50 grams of suspected methamphetamine, 60 grams of suspected fentanyl, four replica firearms, ammunition, two-thousand dollars in cash and other drug trafficking paraphernalia at the home on Nicholson Street.

3 arrested in drug seizure