Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada will send $65M for humanitarian assistance and economic development to Lebanon

Canada will send $65M for humanitarian assistance and economic development to Lebanon
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen announced a $65-million aid package for Lebanon today. 

Canada will send $65M for humanitarian assistance and economic development to Lebanon

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury
A judge has decided the trial of a man accused of killing four women in Winnipeg will still be heard by a jury.

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury

Five things to know about foreign interference from the inquiry's interim report

Five things to know about foreign interference from the inquiry's interim report
After holding public hearings and gathering evidence in private, inquiry commissioner Marie-Josée Hogue has released an interim report into foreign interference in Canada's last two general elections.

Five things to know about foreign interference from the inquiry's interim report

Princess Anne to take part in B.C. ceremony bringing new ship into Pacific fleet

Princess Anne to take part in B.C. ceremony bringing new ship into Pacific fleet
The first Arctic and Offshore Patrol Vessel for Canada's Pacific fleet will officially be commissioned in a ceremony featuring Princess Anne, the sister of King Charles.

Princess Anne to take part in B.C. ceremony bringing new ship into Pacific fleet

Environmental groups criticize government walk-back on pollution impact assessment

Environmental groups criticize government walk-back on pollution impact assessment
Environmental groups say the Liberal government is giving up its authority to regulate greenhouse gas emissions through proposed amendments to the federal Impact Assessment Act.

Environmental groups criticize government walk-back on pollution impact assessment

Lawyer says Surrey had pathway to keep RCMP but made 'no effort' to meet conditions

Lawyer says Surrey had pathway to keep RCMP but made 'no effort' to meet conditions
A lawyer for B.C.'s Public Safety Ministry says the City of Surrey was given a pathway to retain the RCMP as its police force, but "made no effort at all" to meet conditions to do so.

Lawyer says Surrey had pathway to keep RCMP but made 'no effort' to meet conditions