Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Quebec premier says pro-Palestinian encampment at McGill 'has to be dismantled'

Quebec premier says pro-Palestinian encampment at McGill 'has to be dismantled'
Quebec Premier François Legault on Thursday called for the end to the pro-Palestinian protest encampment on the lower field of McGill University's downtown campus in Montreal, saying he expected police to dismantle the tents.

Quebec premier says pro-Palestinian encampment at McGill 'has to be dismantled'

Saskatchewan's Boundary dam carbon capture project underperforms, report says

Saskatchewan's Boundary dam carbon capture project underperforms, report says
A signature carbon capture and storage project in Saskatchewan continues to miss emissions reduction goals, raising questions about the cost-effectiveness of the technology, says a report.

Saskatchewan's Boundary dam carbon capture project underperforms, report says

Alberta, Saskatchewan sign agreement to share, swap information on nuclear energy

Alberta, Saskatchewan sign agreement to share, swap information on nuclear energy
Saskatchewan and Alberta have agreed to share and swap information about nuclear power generation.

Alberta, Saskatchewan sign agreement to share, swap information on nuclear energy

Early morning crash in Victoria sends one to hospital

Early morning crash in Victoria sends one to hospital
Police in Victoria say speed was likely a factor in an early-morning crash Wednesday that sent one person to hospital with serious injuries. Victoria police say officers patrolling downtown area came across a crash where a vehicle hit a venting pipe and utility control box, causing considerable damage to the vehicle and road.

Early morning crash in Victoria sends one to hospital

London Drugs phone lines working, stores still closed after cybersecurity incident

London Drugs phone lines working, stores still closed after cybersecurity incident
London Drugs says its phone lines are working again after being taken offline in response to a cybersecurity incident. A statement from the Richmond, B.C.-based pharmacy and retail chain says Canada Post offices inside London Drugs stores are also up and running again.

London Drugs phone lines working, stores still closed after cybersecurity incident

Macklem says he doesn't think federal budget will have much of an impact on inflation

Macklem says he doesn't think federal budget will have much of an impact on inflation
Bank of Canada governor Tiff Macklem said he doesn't think the federal budget tabled last month will have much of an effect on inflation. Macklem was testifying at a Senate committee alongside senior deputy governor Carolyn Rogers on Wednesday following the central bank's latest interest rate announcement.

Macklem says he doesn't think federal budget will have much of an impact on inflation