Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

One dead in White Rock blaze

One dead in White Rock blaze
White Rock fire officials say one person is dead after a blaze broke out in an apartment unit. Firefighters were called to the building over the weekend and contained the blaze to one apartment, but there was water and smoke damage in other areas.

One dead in White Rock blaze

B.C. and Ottawa announce $733M in federal health funding for province's seniors

B.C. and Ottawa announce $733M in federal health funding for province's seniors
British Columbia's seniors advocate welcomes newly announced federal funding for seniors' health care, and says she's particularly excited about the promise to support seniors at home. Isobel Mackenzie said she also hopes some of that money is allocated to cover home-support payments for about 70 per cent of B.C. seniors who don't qualify for the Guaranteed Income Supplement.

B.C. and Ottawa announce $733M in federal health funding for province's seniors

Man charged with first-degree murder in B.C. hit-and-run

Man charged with first-degree murder in B.C. hit-and-run
Police on Vancouver Island have arrested and charged a man with first-degree murder in the hit-and-run death of a cyclist last week. Comox Valley RCMP say that 45-year-old Steven Squires of Cumberland, B.C., has also been charged with failure to stop after an accident causing death and remains in custody. 

Man charged with first-degree murder in B.C. hit-and-run

Charities under strain as foreign students 'struggle' in Canada: Report

Charities under strain as foreign students 'struggle' in Canada: Report
With nearly 500,000 international students living in the Greater Toronto Area, Khalsa Aid's national director Jindi Singh says charities are taking on more than their fair share of the load, Ottawa-based CBC news channel reported.

Charities under strain as foreign students 'struggle' in Canada: Report

Indian-origin man wanted in connection with father's murder in Canada

Indian-origin man wanted in connection with father's murder in Canada
Police are on the lookout for a 22-year-old Indian-origin son, who fled after allegedly murdering his father, at their home in Canada's Ontario province. Sukhaj Cheema-Singh is wanted for first-degree murder after 56-year-old Kuldip Singh was found with 'severe injuries' at his Stoney Creek home in Hamilton on Saturday night.

Indian-origin man wanted in connection with father's murder in Canada

Jordan's King Abdullah II to visit Canada on Wednesday

Jordan's King Abdullah II to visit Canada on Wednesday
The King of Jordan will visit Canada later this week and meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The Prime Minister's Office issued a news release Sunday saying King Abdullah II will be in Ottawa on Wednesday.  

Jordan's King Abdullah II to visit Canada on Wednesday