Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament
The three-day Liberal caucus retreat in Nanaimo, B.C., was the first chance for Trudeau to address his MPs as a group since they lost a long-held Liberal riding in Toronto to the Conservatives. The loss led to a fractious summer, and the focus of the gathering has been to reunite the party and turn their focus to the Tories.

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament

Robbery at a BC liquor store

Robbery at a BC liquor store
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been taken into custody after robbing a liquor store.  R-C-M-P say officers received two reports about a man who seemed to be carrying a firearm showed up on Weisbrod Road close to the Hart Highway and the second report came in suggesting the man robbed a nearby liquor store. 

Robbery at a BC liquor store

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster
A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has declared a mistrial in the case of Kane Carter, who was accused of murdering a gang member and an innocent teenager who was passing by in his parents' vehicle. The jury came back Tuesday saying it was deadlocked after five days of deliberations in Carter's trial.

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting
B.C.'s police watchdog says an officer from the Vancouver Police Department might face charges in a shooting that killed a man two years ago.  A statement from the Independent Investigations Office says officers from the Vancouver Police Department responded to a call from the Patricia Hotel on May 5, 2022.

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill
R-C-M-P are looking for more information as they investigate the sexual assault of an elderly woman that happened in Cobble Hill in July. Mounties say an unknown man entered the elderly women's home in the area of Carlton Drive and assaulted her.

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill

Witnesses sought in collision

Witnesses sought in collision
Vancouver Police are looking for witnesses following a collision between a cyclist and pedestrian on the afternoon of September 1st. Officers say a 62-year-old was riding a rental bike on Comox Street between Broughton and Nicola just before 1 p.m., when the cyclist collided with a driver who was exiting her parked car. 

Witnesses sought in collision