Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman asked to be taken to hospital before she died in cell, says police watchdog

Woman asked to be taken to hospital before she died in cell, says police watchdog
British Columbia's police watchdog says a woman who died of an overdose in an RCMP jail cell had asked to go to hospital twice. A report released by the Independent Investigations Office says the case continues to raise concerns about how intoxicated prisoners are housed in B.C., as police aren't trained medical personnel and jail cells aren't the best place for such people.

Woman asked to be taken to hospital before she died in cell, says police watchdog

2 assaulted in a Surrey park

2 assaulted in a Surrey park
Mounties are looking for witnesses after an assault of two men in a Surrey park that left one with life-threatening injuries. They say officers responded on Sunday around 12:40 A-M to a report of a disturbance and arrived to find two victims.

2 assaulted in a Surrey park

Woman charged in Surrey stabbing

Woman charged in Surrey stabbing
Mounties in Surrey say a woman has been charged in the weekend stabbing in the city. They say officers responded to a report of a pedestrian being struck around 2:15 A-M on Saturday, but arrived to find a woman suffering from stab wounds.

Woman charged in Surrey stabbing

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation
British Columbia's Public Safety Ministry says it has filed an unexplained wealth order application in court following a 2023 shooting at a Vancouver home. As part of a criminal investigation, the ministry says a suspect's home was searched and police discovered an illegal cannabis-growing operation, ammunition and more than $1.4 million in cash. 

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast
The BC Wildfire Service says rain, light winds and cooler temperatures are expected to decrease fire behaviour in the province this week, just as a newly discovered blaze in the East Kootenays prompts an evacuation order and alerts for more than 50 properties.

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam
A 56-year-old man is facing a sexual assault charge after what Burnaby R-C-M-P are calling a "cleansing ritual scam". Police say a 29-year-old woman was approached by a man at a Burnaby mall on August 5th.

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam