Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says
Health Minister Mark Holland says more than four-fifths of dental providers are now participating in his government's dental-care program, and some 600,000 Canadians have taken advantage of it. The update comes a month after the minister touted a 75 per cent participation rate.

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says

Single vehicle collision in Delta

Single vehicle collision in Delta
Delta police say they are investigating a single vehicle collision that sent one person to hospital with serious injuries Sunday morning. James Sandberg, acting inspector with Delta Police, says officers responded to a call around 4 a.m. Saturday morning about a vehicle collision on Highway 17 where they found one person with serious injuries.

Single vehicle collision in Delta

Shopkeeper attacked in Vancouver

Shopkeeper attacked in Vancouver
Vancouver police say a shopkeeper was attacked while leaving work in east Vancouver Saturday night. V-P-D is praising three passersby who intervened and prevented the 23-year-old victim from being seriously injured.

Shopkeeper attacked in Vancouver

Employer considers union plan in week two of Metro Vancouver HandyDART transit strike

Employer considers union plan in week two of Metro Vancouver HandyDART transit strike
Most services for Metro Vancouver's specialized HandyDART transit system remain cancelled for a second week, with the operator saying it will respond to a new proposal from the union representing striking workers on Thursday. TransDev Canada says that's when talks were "previously scheduled" to resume, and no agreements were reached in Sunday's initial mediated talks.

Employer considers union plan in week two of Metro Vancouver HandyDART transit strike

Canadian resident arrested over alleged Oct. 7 New York terror plot

Canadian resident arrested over alleged Oct. 7 New York terror plot
U.S. authorities say a Canadian resident has been arrested in Quebec over an alleged Islamic State terror plot to kill Jewish people in New York. The U.S. Department of Justice says Pakistani national Muhammad Shahzeb Khan, 20, also known as Shahzeb Jadoon, was arrested on Wednesday in relation to the attack it says was to take place around Oct. 7, the anniversary of the Hamas attack on Israel last year.

Canadian resident arrested over alleged Oct. 7 New York terror plot

Involuntary mental health care must be 'dignified and humane,' B.C. premier says

Involuntary mental health care must be 'dignified and humane,' B.C. premier says
People struggling with brain injuries, addictions and mental health issues need "dignified and humane" support services if they're committed against their will, and B.C. Premier David Eby says the government is putting its faith in a recently appointed adviser to make those services a reality.  Eby said Friday that his government is working on a strategy about involuntary care, speaking days after a deadly attack in downtown Vancouver that left one man dead.

Involuntary mental health care must be 'dignified and humane,' B.C. premier says