Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Wildfires expected to grow again amid hot, dry weather: Jasper National Park

Wildfires expected to grow again amid hot, dry weather: Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park says wildfires in the area have grown by thousands of hectares and are set to expand further on Friday. The park says the wildfire remains out of control and has grown by about 7,500 hectares, bringing it to about 39,000 hectares.

Wildfires expected to grow again amid hot, dry weather: Jasper National Park

Canada finishes space launch negotiations with the United States

Canada finishes space launch negotiations with the United States
The agreement, which is yet to be signed, will establish the legal and technical safeguards needed to use U.S. space launch technology, expertise and data for launches in Canada.

Canada finishes space launch negotiations with the United States

SPCA seizes over 40 dogs near Prince George

SPCA seizes over 40 dogs near Prince George
The S-P-C-A says animal protection officers have seized more than 40 German shepherds including a dozen puppies from breeder southeast of Prince George. Marcie Moriarty, chief of protection and outreach services, says the dogs were living in "horrible" conditions in outdoor kennels covered in urine and feces.

SPCA seizes over 40 dogs near Prince George

Parole granted in double murder of 2 females

Parole granted in double murder of 2 females
A man convicted in the notorious double murder of two women in Tsawwassen in 1990 has been granted full parole. The decision was made following a parole board hearing for Derik Lord, who was 17 at the time of the murders and has always maintained his innocence.

Parole granted in double murder of 2 females

Eight people charged after drug-trafficking investigation in B.C.'s Lower Mainland

Eight people charged after drug-trafficking investigation in B.C.'s Lower Mainland
A statement from B.C.'s Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says the investigation began in Langley in December 2022 and expanded as investigators determined the suspects were connected to "gang and organized crime activity."

Eight people charged after drug-trafficking investigation in B.C.'s Lower Mainland

Canadian news engagement down significantly one year after Meta's ban: study

Canadian news engagement down significantly one year after Meta's ban: study
The Media Ecosystem Observatory study published today finds that Canadians’ total engagement with news content on social media has been reduced by 43 per cent, despite efforts to increase social media engagement on other platforms.

Canadian news engagement down significantly one year after Meta's ban: study