Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Crews install sprinklers on remaining Jasper buildings ahead of hot weather

Crews install sprinklers on remaining Jasper buildings ahead of hot weather
A wildfire rampaging through Jasper National Park remains out of control as crews work to reduce the risk of it spreading. Parks Canada says sprinklers have been installed on some buildings north of the park's townsite, as fire activity is expected to increase.

Crews install sprinklers on remaining Jasper buildings ahead of hot weather

BC smuggler convicted

BC smuggler convicted
A failed plan to smuggle hundreds of kilograms of methamphetamine to Vancouver Island has resulted in a conviction in Seattle for an American man. A jury in U-S District Court found John Sherwood guilty of conspiracy to distribute drugs, possession of drugs and conspiracy to commit international money laundering in the April 2021 scheme.

BC smuggler convicted

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns
Fisheries and Oceans Canada says "aids to navigation" will continue operating at both the Carmanah Point and Pachena Point light stations located along the Vancouver Island coast that's also home to the famed West Coast Trail. The light keepers will move out of the buildings before winter weather arrives.

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Suspicious fire at Surrey home

Suspicious fire at Surrey home
Police on Vancouver Island say they have arrested a suspect after a suspicious fire at a home in Sidney. R-C-M-P say officers responded just before 2 p-m yesterday. They say the blaze required a response from the North Saanich, Sidney and Central Saanich Fire Departments.

Suspicious fire at Surrey home

Home invasion in Port Moody

Home invasion in Port Moody
Police in Port Moody say a man has been changed over allegations he tried to steal cryptocurrency in a violent home invasion earlier this year.  Officers were called by a third-party to request a check on the well-being of a family on April 28th and found multiple victims who needed treatment for several injuries. 

Home invasion in Port Moody

B.C. warns of increasing wildfire risk with the return of hot, dry weather

B.C. warns of increasing wildfire risk with the return of hot, dry weather
The number of active wildfires in British Columbia is holding steady at just under 340 as the provincial government warns of increasing fire risk this weekend. A statement from the government says people in wildfire-prone areas are "strongly urged" to be vigilant, adhere to fire bans, and be prepared with an emergency plan.

B.C. warns of increasing wildfire risk with the return of hot, dry weather