Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election
Three provincial New Democrat ministers have announced they won't seek re-election in British Columbia's fall vote. Harry Bains, Bruce Ralston and Rob Fleming were all first elected in 2005 and have served five terms in the legislature, but say they will not stand on Oct. 19.

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog
The parliamentary budget officer estimates that staffing up the new regulators in the Liberals' Online Harms Act will cost around $200 million over five years.  The federal government wants to establish a Digital Safety Commission to regulate social-media companies and force them to limit harmful content online. 

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.
Infrastructure Canada says $19 million in upgrades to Vancouver's Science World will increase the facility's lifespan and reduce its energy consumption by more than 40 per cent. The federal government says the money will go toward repairing Science World's geodesic dome, the building envelope, and fixes to its heating, electrical and ventilation systems. 

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.

Woman dies in weekend drowning

Woman dies in weekend drowning
Mounties on the upper Sunshine Coast say a 29-year-old woman is dead after an apparent drowning over the weekend. They say it happened on Sunday near the barge terminal on Savary Island off the coast of Lund, north of Powell River.

Woman dies in weekend drowning

B.C. government to launch online portal to combat 'bad faith' evictions

B.C. government to launch online portal to combat 'bad faith' evictions
The Ministry of Housing says the Landlord Use Web Portal will go live on July 18, and will require landlords to generate eviction notices under the Residential Tenancy Act's provision allowing tenants to be evicted from a unit if a family member or caretaker intends to move in. 

B.C. government to launch online portal to combat 'bad faith' evictions

Irish prime minister 'appalled' by Canadian tourist's death after alleged assault

Irish prime minister 'appalled' by Canadian tourist's death after alleged assault
Ireland's prime minister says he's "absolutely appalled" by an assault in the country's capital that resulted in the death of a tourist from Montreal. Simon Harris today described Neno Dolmajian's death in Dublin as "reprehensible" and "horrific" and told parliament the death is now being investigated as a murder.

Irish prime minister 'appalled' by Canadian tourist's death after alleged assault