Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

2 new judges appointed to BC's Provincial Court

2 new judges appointed to BC's Provincial Court
British Columbia's government has appointed two new Provincial Court judges to support consistent and timely access to justice. Parveen Nijjar and Paul Pearson have both been appointed and are set to start on July 25th.

2 new judges appointed to BC's Provincial Court

Liberal MP Ken McDonald says he won’t run again

Liberal MP Ken McDonald says he won’t run again
Liberal MP Ken McDonald, who opposed his party over the federal carbon price, says he won’t run in the next federal election. McDonald has represented the riding of Avalon in Newfoundland and Labrador since 2015, when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberals won a majority government.

Liberal MP Ken McDonald says he won’t run again

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74
Former CBC radio journalist and personality Rick Cluff, who was the longtime host of The Early Edition morning show in Vancouver, has died at the age of 74. The public broadcaster says Cluff died shortly after being diagnosed with cancer.

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content
In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver
Two individuals involved in a series of complex shoplifting cases in Metro Vancouver have pleaded guilty and were sentenced for their roles. Surrey Mounties say 51-year-old Nicoleta Rusu and 39-year-old Emil Marian Stan stole goods such as high-end fragrances and athletic clothing valued at 53-thousand dollars over a six-month span.

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Road rage incident in Richmond

Road rage incident in Richmond
Police in Richmond are on the lookout after a road rage incident resulted in the occupant of one car opening fire on the driver of another vehicle. Richmond R-C-M-P say they responded to a call of shots fired on Hollybridge Way on the evening of June 28th.

Road rage incident in Richmond