Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Nov, 2025 10:21 AM
  • Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

The British Columbia government has brought in new rules that limit when an employer can ask for a sick note, saving doctors the burden of writing them and preventing patients from spreading their illness even further. 

A government statement says that under new employment standards regulations, an employer can't ask for a note for the first two health-related absences of up to five consecutive days in the same year.

Health Minister Josie Osborne says the new rules that started Wednesday will ensure that those who are sick can stay home to recover, while reducing the unnecessary administrative burden on physicians. 

Dr. Lisa Gaede, a family physician and Doctors of BC representative, says sick notes put an "enormous burden on physicians and other primary care providers," and the change means they can be more available for patients who need their help. 

The statement says the changes are based on advice from care providers, who say scientific evidence shows that most minor illnesses for adults, such as flu or cold, have symptoms that resolve within five days. 

Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says when someone is sick with the flu, the last thing they want to do is go to their doctor to get a note that says they're sick. 

"Unnecessary medical appointments take time away from patients who need to see their doctors and nurses, don't help people get better any faster and risk further spread of illness," she says in the statement. 

The Canadian Medication Association estimates that B.C. doctors wrote about 1.6 million such notes last year. 

The statement says that health-related absences include when an employee or member of their immediate family is sick or injured.

The government says that health-care providers throughout the province have called for relief from administrative burdens, including such notes, that take them away from patient care. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers
British Columbia's attorney general says the Supreme Court of Canada has certified the province's class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers and distributors. Niki Sharma says B.C. can now proceed as a representative plaintiff on behalf of other Canadian governments with the litigation aimed at recovering the costs of treating opioid-related diseases allegedly caused by the industry's conduct.

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges
Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he is only aware of two genders — male and female — and that the government should leave people alone. In an interview with CP24 news channel, Poilievre was asked about President Donald Trump signing an executive order declaring the U.S. will only recognize two sexes and that they are unchangeable.

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race
Liberal leadership candidates Mark Carney and Chandra Arya have submitted their paperwork to enter the race ahead of tomorrow's deadline. The two appear to be the first through that gate, submitting the required signatures and a $50,000 deposit.

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says
The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

2 arrested for assault with a weapon

2 arrested for assault with a weapon
Police in Surrey say two men have been charged with multiple offences including assault with a weapon, uttering threats to cause death, and unlawful confinement after an incident at a city centre apartment on Monday. They say officers responded to a call from a resident at an apartment on Central Avenue who said that two men were acting violently and had a gun.

2 arrested for assault with a weapon