Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Nov, 2025 10:21 AM
  • Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

The British Columbia government has brought in new rules that limit when an employer can ask for a sick note, saving doctors the burden of writing them and preventing patients from spreading their illness even further. 

A government statement says that under new employment standards regulations, an employer can't ask for a note for the first two health-related absences of up to five consecutive days in the same year.

Health Minister Josie Osborne says the new rules that started Wednesday will ensure that those who are sick can stay home to recover, while reducing the unnecessary administrative burden on physicians. 

Dr. Lisa Gaede, a family physician and Doctors of BC representative, says sick notes put an "enormous burden on physicians and other primary care providers," and the change means they can be more available for patients who need their help. 

The statement says the changes are based on advice from care providers, who say scientific evidence shows that most minor illnesses for adults, such as flu or cold, have symptoms that resolve within five days. 

Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says when someone is sick with the flu, the last thing they want to do is go to their doctor to get a note that says they're sick. 

"Unnecessary medical appointments take time away from patients who need to see their doctors and nurses, don't help people get better any faster and risk further spread of illness," she says in the statement. 

The Canadian Medication Association estimates that B.C. doctors wrote about 1.6 million such notes last year. 

The statement says that health-related absences include when an employee or member of their immediate family is sick or injured.

The government says that health-care providers throughout the province have called for relief from administrative burdens, including such notes, that take them away from patient care. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Home invasion in Sicamous

Home invasion in Sicamous
Mounties in Sicamous say a man has been charged with multiple offences for breaking into a home in Malakwa last Saturday. They say the man was allegedly armed with a weapon and got into a confrontation with the residents inside.

Home invasion in Sicamous

Trudeau to attend events marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland

Trudeau to attend events marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will fly to Poland next week for events marking 80 years since the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. Trudeau's office says he'll be travelling Sunday to Tuesday and visiting the site of the Nazi regime's largest camp, where more than one million people were murdered during the Holocaust.

Trudeau to attend events marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland

Ottawa signs deals to house homeless in 11 municipalities in Ontario, Saskatchewan

Ottawa signs deals to house homeless in 11 municipalities in Ontario, Saskatchewan
The federal government has signed deals with nine additional municipalities in Ontario and two in Saskatchewan to address homelessness. The agreements are worth a combined $91 million over two years and are meant to support the municipalities' encampment response plans.

Ottawa signs deals to house homeless in 11 municipalities in Ontario, Saskatchewan

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election
Another member of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's front bench has decided to step away from federal politics at the next election. Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says his name will not be on the ballot when the next election is held, though he says he will remain a dedicated member of the Liberal party.

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit
Staff at the World Health Organization are "devastated" by President Donald Trump's executive order to pull the U.S. out of the agency, a Canadian global health specialist says. Dr. Madhukar Pai, the Canada Research Chair in Epidemiology and Global Health, is at the WHO headquarters in Geneva this week for meetings about tuberculosis and was there at the time Trump signed the order Monday.  

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric
Refugee advocacy groups are pushing back as the federal immigration minister says Ottawa still regards the U.S. as a safe country for transgender refugees under President Donald Trump. Trump signed executive orders on the first day of his new term to make recognizing gender based on biological characteristics U.S. government policy, and to pause the refugee program.

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric