Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

Parliament resumes for what could be final stretch

Parliament resumes for what could be final stretch
Parliamentarians are entering what could be their final stretch in the House of Commons before summer break as the Liberal government sharpens its focus on two key pieces of legislation.

Parliament resumes for what could be final stretch

Hotel quarantine starts to end in two weeks

Hotel quarantine starts to end in two weeks
Fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents returning to Canada will soon be able to avoid a mandatory quarantine. The first stage in loosening the border restrictions that have been in place for 15 months will begin at 11:59 p.m. eastern time on July 5.

Hotel quarantine starts to end in two weeks

Singh blasts Liberal 'hypocrisy' on reconciliation

Singh blasts Liberal 'hypocrisy' on reconciliation
Singh says the Liberals are hoping to turn the page and celebrate their achievements on reconciliation with First Peoples today, on National Indigenous Peoples Day, but he believes they should instead be taken to task on their record.

Singh blasts Liberal 'hypocrisy' on reconciliation

Reports of shots fired near an elementary school in Burnaby

Reports of shots fired near an elementary school in Burnaby
A shooting took palce near an elementary school in Burnaby on Friday but the Burnaby RCMP say they haven't found any victims. Police were on scene at Armstrong Avenue near Cariboo Drive around 9 p.m., close to Armstrong Elementary School. 

Reports of shots fired near an elementary school in Burnaby

Shots fired in Surrey on Saturday night

Shots fired in Surrey on Saturday night
A shooting in Surrey, near 76 Ave and 128 St at close to 9:30pm on Saturday. There was a heavy police presence due to the incident at the intersection of 128th and 76th avenue.

Shots fired in Surrey on Saturday night

Two facing charges in murder of B.C. brothers

Two facing charges in murder of B.C. brothers
RCMP say two men have been charged in the double murder of two brothers in British Columbia's Okanagan region. The bodies of Erick and Carlos Fryer were found in a remote location near the town of Naramata.

Two facing charges in murder of B.C. brothers