Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

Two-dose August possible with vaccine shipments

Two-dose August possible with vaccine shipments
Trudeau says Canada is on track now to have 68 million doses delivered by the end of July, which is more than enough to fully vaccinate all 33.2 million Canadians over the age of 12.

Two-dose August possible with vaccine shipments

Canada announces new assistance for refugees

Canada announces new assistance for refugees
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino has announced a new policy to help settle 500 refugees and their families in a news conference today.

Canada announces new assistance for refugees

Alberta to lift all COVID restrictions on July 1

Alberta to lift all COVID restrictions on July 1
Alberta will lift its remaining COVID-19 health restrictions on July 1, becoming the first province or territory in Canada to do so. Premier Jason Kenney says 70.2 per cent of Albertans aged 12 and over have now received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Alberta to lift all COVID restrictions on July 1

Fraser Health’s 32-hour Vax-a-thon this weekend is a red carpet event with music and entertainment-get your shot

Fraser Health’s 32-hour Vax-a-thon this weekend is a red carpet event with music and entertainment-get your shot
Those who attend this special clinic will enjoy live music and other exciting, physically-distanced entertainment while receiving their COVID-19 immunization. They will also have a chance to receive generous donated door prizes.

Fraser Health’s 32-hour Vax-a-thon this weekend is a red carpet event with music and entertainment-get your shot

AstraZeneca double-dosers react to NACI advice

AstraZeneca double-dosers react to NACI advice
When Gwenny Farrell booked her second dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine on the first day it became available, she said she believed she was doing the right thing.    

AstraZeneca double-dosers react to NACI advice

Kenney to deliver update on COVID reopening plan

Kenney to deliver update on COVID reopening plan
Kenney has said Alberta needs 70 per cent of those eligible for vaccination to receive at least one dose in order to safely lift all restrictions.

Kenney to deliver update on COVID reopening plan