Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. policing choice faces petition for referendum

B.C. policing choice faces petition for referendum
In order for the petition to succeed, setting off the referendum, signatures from at least 10 per cent of the registered voters in each of British Columbia’s 87 electoral districts must be collected within 90 days of the petition's start.

B.C. policing choice faces petition for referendum

Ontario judge Mahmud Jamal nominated to top court

Ontario judge Mahmud Jamal nominated to top court
Jamal, who would be the first person of colour to sit on the top court, was a longtime litigator before becoming a judge of the Ontario Court of Appeal two years ago.

Ontario judge Mahmud Jamal nominated to top court

Centre Block restoration to cost up to $5B

Centre Block restoration to cost up to $5B
Public Services and Procurement Canada says construction on the traditional seat of the House of Commons is expected to wrap before 2032, with a cost of between $4.5 billion and $5 billion.

Centre Block restoration to cost up to $5B

Luckily no injuries after vehicle crashes into school playground

Luckily no injuries after vehicle crashes into school playground
A 50-year-old West Vancouver woman is lucky to have walked away with only a ticket, after she lost control outside an elementary school and crashed through a fence, narrowly missing children playing nearby.

Luckily no injuries after vehicle crashes into school playground

IHIT suspect foul play in disappearance of Burnaby man Parminder Rai

IHIT suspect foul play in disappearance of Burnaby man Parminder Rai
IHIT says 33 year old  Parminder Rai a Burnaby resident was reported missing by his family on June 9. He is known to police and has possible gang connections.

IHIT suspect foul play in disappearance of Burnaby man Parminder Rai

Report on grocery pay finds cartel-like practices

Report on grocery pay finds cartel-like practices
The report comes a year after Canada's big three grocers — Loblaw Companies Ltd., Metro Inc. and Sobeys parent company Empire Company Ltd. — all cut temporary pandemic-related pay bonuses within a day of each other last June.

Report on grocery pay finds cartel-like practices