Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Mar, 2023 01:18 PM
  • Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - Bus service across most of B.C.'s Fraser Valley, from Abbotsford to Hope, has been halted by a strike.

More than 200 members of CUPE Local 561 walked off the job, affecting all bus service in Abbotsford, Mission, Agassiz-Harrison, Chilliwack and Hope, although essential HandiDart trips can still be booked.

The union says its members, who work for a company that contracts service to BC Transit, have no pension and make 32 per cent less than bus drivers and other staff elsewhere in Metro Vancouver's transit system.

Talks between the two sides collapsed last week and the union says BC Transit and its private operator, First Transit, have refused to consider union proposals on wages or pensions.

Picket lines went up Monday at locations around Abbotsford and Chilliwack, as well as the West Coast Express train station in Mission and at the Burnaby bus loop where the Fraser Valley Express bus from Chilliwack makes its final stop.

A statement from BC Transit says it is watching the situation carefully and will update customers when more information is available, but it says the dispute is between First Transit and the CUPE workers.

MORE National ARTICLES

Appeal Court removes stay on Broncos lawsuit

Appeal Court removes stay on Broncos lawsuit
Sixteen people were killed and 13 were injured when an inexperienced truck driver went through a stop sign and into the path of the junior hockey team's bus at a rural intersection near Tisdale, Sask., on April 6, 2018. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, the trucker who caused the crash, was sentenced to eight years in prison after he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving charges. In July, he was granted day parole for six months.

Appeal Court removes stay on Broncos lawsuit

Eyes on affordability as House of Commons returns

Eyes on affordability as House of Commons returns
Any sparks that may fly between Poilievre and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will have to wait for Thursday, when Trudeau returns to the House following the United Nations General Assembly. On Tuesday, the Liberals wasted no time introducing legislation to offer some brief respite to lower-income Canadians struggling to pay their bills amid soaring costs.

Eyes on affordability as House of Commons returns

Feds mull lifting COVID-19 travel measures

Feds mull lifting COVID-19 travel measures
A senior government official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss matters not made public says no decision has been made. Under the soon-to-expire rules, foreign nationals are typically not allowed to travel to Canada unless they have completed a primary series of an approved COVID-19 vaccine, unless they qualify for an exception.

Feds mull lifting COVID-19 travel measures

Injured man located in running vehicle passes away in Surrey, traffic being re-routed: IHIT

Injured man located in running vehicle passes away in Surrey, traffic being re-routed: IHIT
On Tuesday morning at 9:25 a.m, Surrey RCMP,  received a reported of a person passed out in a running vehicle in the 8800-block of 127 Street. First responders arrived on scene and located an injured person who was unresponsive. Despite lifesaving efforts, the man did not survive.  

Injured man located in running vehicle passes away in Surrey, traffic being re-routed: IHIT

Liberals table dental-care legislation

Liberals table dental-care legislation
If granted royal assent, Bill C-31 would provide qualifying families with children under the age of 12 with up to $650 per child each year to pay for dental care services. Families with a household income under $90,000 need to provide the Canada Revenue Agency with the name of their licensed dental-care practitioner and the month of the planned appointment.

Liberals table dental-care legislation

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.
The lumber producer says it is taking a two-week curtailment starting Sept. 26 at the majority of its solid wood facilities in B.C. Production will resume with reduced operating schedules until the end of the year.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.