Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Mar, 2023 01:18 PM
  • Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - Bus service across most of B.C.'s Fraser Valley, from Abbotsford to Hope, has been halted by a strike.

More than 200 members of CUPE Local 561 walked off the job, affecting all bus service in Abbotsford, Mission, Agassiz-Harrison, Chilliwack and Hope, although essential HandiDart trips can still be booked.

The union says its members, who work for a company that contracts service to BC Transit, have no pension and make 32 per cent less than bus drivers and other staff elsewhere in Metro Vancouver's transit system.

Talks between the two sides collapsed last week and the union says BC Transit and its private operator, First Transit, have refused to consider union proposals on wages or pensions.

Picket lines went up Monday at locations around Abbotsford and Chilliwack, as well as the West Coast Express train station in Mission and at the Burnaby bus loop where the Fraser Valley Express bus from Chilliwack makes its final stop.

A statement from BC Transit says it is watching the situation carefully and will update customers when more information is available, but it says the dispute is between First Transit and the CUPE workers.

MORE National ARTICLES

Search warrant at a Surrey convenience store leads to seizure of fentanyl and large amount of cash

Search warrant at a Surrey convenience store leads to seizure of fentanyl and large amount of cash
On August 30, 2022, Surrey RCMP Drug Unit executed a search warrant at a convenience store located in the 10200-block of City Parkway.  Investigation lead the police to believe that the business was being used to facilitate drug trafficking in the area.

Search warrant at a Surrey convenience store leads to seizure of fentanyl and large amount of cash

Canada losing internationally trained doctors

Canada losing internationally trained doctors
Doctors trained abroad arrive in the country hoping to practise but are often stymied by the costly licensing process, and they leave for countries where it is easier to get licensed. Some provinces, including Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador, are working to streamline their procedures as they welcome Ukrainian doctors fleeing the war in their country.

Canada losing internationally trained doctors

Rain, cooler weather aid B.C. wildfire crews

Rain, cooler weather aid B.C. wildfire crews
Rain in southwest B.C. also dampened the two wildfires east and southwest of Hope, including the five-square kilometre blaze that affected eastbound traffic on Highway 1, and the BC Wildfire Service says both fires are now ranked as "being held," meaning neither is likely to spread.

Rain, cooler weather aid B.C. wildfire crews

Burnaby RCMP need the public's help in finding missing man Rajesh Verma

Burnaby RCMP need the public's help in finding missing man Rajesh Verma
Burnaby RCMP is asking for the public’s assistance in locating 65-year-old Rajesh Verma. Rajesh was last seen by family in the 8800-block of Armstrong Avenue at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, September 15, 2022.  

Burnaby RCMP need the public's help in finding missing man Rajesh Verma

Former PMs to attend queen's funeral in London

Former PMs to attend queen's funeral in London
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Gov. Gen. Mary Simon and their spouses are leading the delegation, which departs Friday, though it's unclear whether all guests will travel on the same aircraft. The group will include former governors general Michaëlle Jean and David Johnston as well as former prime ministers Kim Campbell, Jean Chrétien, Paul Martin and Stephen Harper.

Former PMs to attend queen's funeral in London

B.C. gondola operator sues security company

B.C. gondola operator sues security company
A notice of claim filed in B.C. Supreme Court this week by Sea to Sky Gondola argues an alarm system designed and installed by Unified Systems Inc. failed when an unidentified person cut the cable for the second time in September 2020.

B.C. gondola operator sues security company