Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Mar, 2023 01:18 PM
  • Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - Bus service across most of B.C.'s Fraser Valley, from Abbotsford to Hope, has been halted by a strike.

More than 200 members of CUPE Local 561 walked off the job, affecting all bus service in Abbotsford, Mission, Agassiz-Harrison, Chilliwack and Hope, although essential HandiDart trips can still be booked.

The union says its members, who work for a company that contracts service to BC Transit, have no pension and make 32 per cent less than bus drivers and other staff elsewhere in Metro Vancouver's transit system.

Talks between the two sides collapsed last week and the union says BC Transit and its private operator, First Transit, have refused to consider union proposals on wages or pensions.

Picket lines went up Monday at locations around Abbotsford and Chilliwack, as well as the West Coast Express train station in Mission and at the Burnaby bus loop where the Fraser Valley Express bus from Chilliwack makes its final stop.

A statement from BC Transit says it is watching the situation carefully and will update customers when more information is available, but it says the dispute is between First Transit and the CUPE workers.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver
They include a 70-year-old man who police say was tackled to the ground, a 33-year-old woman who was punched in the face and a 23-year-old woman police say had been stabbed.  

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status
The downgrading of the fires comes as Environment Canada issues heat warnings for Whistler, Squamish, Sunshine Coast, East Vancouver Island and Inland Vancouver Island.

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey
The police found the 47-year-old man having sustained life-threatening injuries. First responders performed emergency first aid, but the victim did not survive.  IHIT has now taken over the investigation. 

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey
The Canadian Medical Association's national physician health survey, released Thursday, indicates that 53 per cent of respondents reported symptoms of burnout, including emotional exhaustion. The reported burnout rate among doctors was 1.7 times higher than it was in the association's previous survey in 2017.

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium
Apart from this, the mayor announced at the groundbreaking ceremony that he will be building the largest stadium in Canada. "Part of our commitments is that we're going to say as part of our SSC is we are going to build a 60,000 person arena in Surrey“. 

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium

7 stolen Lexus loaded into two shipping containers inside a Surrey salvage yard, 3 youths plead guilty

7 stolen Lexus loaded into two shipping containers inside a Surrey salvage yard, 3 youths plead guilty
19 year old Mohammed Bouterra, 22 year old Al Rifai, and 21 year old Yahya Zitouni pleaded guilty to theft of motor vehicles, possession of stolen property for the purpose of trafficking and use of computer system with intent to commit an offence. 

7 stolen Lexus loaded into two shipping containers inside a Surrey salvage yard, 3 youths plead guilty