Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Mar, 2023 01:18 PM
  • Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - Bus service across most of B.C.'s Fraser Valley, from Abbotsford to Hope, has been halted by a strike.

More than 200 members of CUPE Local 561 walked off the job, affecting all bus service in Abbotsford, Mission, Agassiz-Harrison, Chilliwack and Hope, although essential HandiDart trips can still be booked.

The union says its members, who work for a company that contracts service to BC Transit, have no pension and make 32 per cent less than bus drivers and other staff elsewhere in Metro Vancouver's transit system.

Talks between the two sides collapsed last week and the union says BC Transit and its private operator, First Transit, have refused to consider union proposals on wages or pensions.

Picket lines went up Monday at locations around Abbotsford and Chilliwack, as well as the West Coast Express train station in Mission and at the Burnaby bus loop where the Fraser Valley Express bus from Chilliwack makes its final stop.

A statement from BC Transit says it is watching the situation carefully and will update customers when more information is available, but it says the dispute is between First Transit and the CUPE workers.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. family doctors get $118M lifeline

B.C. family doctors get $118M lifeline
British Columbia is experiencing a crisis in access to health care and nearly one million residents do not have a family doctor. The total $118 million in funding is available to about 3,480 family doctors who have their own practices and 1,100 working in walk-in clinics.

B.C. family doctors get $118M lifeline

Witnesses asked to come forward following robbery with weapon at grocery store

Witnesses asked to come forward following robbery with weapon at grocery store
New Westminster Police Department rushed to the scene and located someone matching the suspect description a few blocks away. At the time of the arrest, officers located a knife nearby. Since his arrest, 31 year old Christopher Agostino of Surrey has been charged with two counts of robbery. 

Witnesses asked to come forward following robbery with weapon at grocery store

Humanitarian crises worsen immigration backlog

Humanitarian crises worsen immigration backlog
As of the end of July, approximately 1.3 million immigration applications in the system have taken longer to process than the government's service standards dictate they should. That's about 54 per cent of all the pending applications in the system.   

Humanitarian crises worsen immigration backlog

40 from camp accept accommodation: BC Housing

40 from camp accept accommodation: BC Housing
City manager Paul Mochrie says workers are removing two tonnes of material per day from the encampment on East Hastings Street. Mochrie says it's difficult to provide a precise number of tents and structures that have been removed, but seven out of 10 zones deemed the highest risk have been cleared.

40 from camp accept accommodation: BC Housing

Victim identified as a 26 year old man in Mission homicide, arrests made

Victim identified as a 26 year old man in Mission homicide, arrests made
On Tuesday, August 23rd, two other men were arrested in relation to the homicide. At this time, no charges have been laid. A residence in Mission is currently being held, pending a search warrant.

Victim identified as a 26 year old man in Mission homicide, arrests made

Langley man charged in the March 2022 murder of Nicholas Ball

Langley man charged in the March 2022 murder of Nicholas Ball
Langley RCMP front line officers attended and located a 29-year-old deceased man, later identified as Nicholas Ball, of Langley.  On Tuesday, August 23rd, 40-year old Jason Griffiths of Langley was arrested in connection to the murder of Nicholas Ball. 

Langley man charged in the March 2022 murder of Nicholas Ball