Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:05 AM
  • Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

B.C. Conservative public safety critic Elenore Sturko is refusing to meet a former Vancouver Police Board vice-chair in defiance of the wishes of party leader John Rustad and a group of colleagues, who have backed the woman over controversial social media posts.

Sturko says in an interview she's not "challenging" Rustad, but it's "disappointing" he didn't tell her he was going to publicly post on social media that he met Comfort Sakoma-Fadugba, and Sturko should too.

Sturko reportedly told the CBC that Sakoma-Fadugba's resignation last month was appropriate, and she had made online comments that were offensive, including to the transgender community.

Sturko says in an interview she doesn't intend letting the issue harm her working relationship with her colleagues or Rustad, and she will meet him in Victoria today.

Former RCMP officer Sturko's defection to the Conservatives ahead of the B.C. election was a pivotal moment for the party and Rustad's efforts to create what he called a "big tent" party.

But tensions within the party were exposed by various responses to Sakoma-Fadugba's exit from the police board. Her posts on Instagram had included remarks about the impact of multiculturalism on "Canadian values."

Sturko says she knew when she joined the party there would be differences of opinion but she has "no desire to deepen any real or perceived rift" within the caucus.

"Not seeing that post (by Rustad) before it went up was disappointing, but it hasn't taken away from my desire to continue working with John to improve our province," she said.

"I think that having challenges (is) part of what it means to be in a caucus with a diversity of views in it. It's unfortunate that it spilled over into the public realm, because it gives people at least a perception that could be negative," she said.

Sturko says diversity within the caucus is "great," calling the differences of opinion a "distraction."

The row became public last week when journalist Jas Johal posted a letter on social media that was signed by 13 Conservative MLAs calling for a "written apology" from Sturko to Sakoma-Fadugba.

The document posted by Johal says Sakoma-Fadugba expressed the views of many Conservatives, and if Sturko didn't apologize and meet her then Rustad should.

Johal said on social media late Monday he had been threatened by a former Conservative candidate and he was reporting the matter to police.

MORE National ARTICLES

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August
Home sales in Greater Vancouver fell 17.1 per cent in August from the same period last year, according to the latest statistics. Greater Vancouver Realtors says there were a total of 19-hundred-and-four homes sold in the region last month, down from almost 23-hundred last year.

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief
Chief Constable Adam Palmer says the suspect, a 34-year-old White Rock man, appears to be "very troubled" and police are looking into whether mental health was a factor in this morning's "horrific" attacks. He says the man, who had a history of assaulting police and social workers, was tracked down with the help of a drone and arrested at Habitat Island, near the Olympic Village.

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events
Parkland Corp. has released a review into an unplanned shutdown of its Burnaby, B.C., refinery in January that blanketed parts of Metro Vancouver with a foul stench. The review released last week says unusually cold weather triggered a series of events leading to the release of a noxious odour that generated more than 100 complaints from residents.

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Man sentenced in child pornography

Man sentenced in child pornography
A New Westminster man has been sentenced to 10 months in jail after pleading guilty to possession child pornography. Police say 51-year-old Scott Harrison was originally arrested in April 2020 after officers begun investigating a case of child porn being uploaded onto the Internet.

Man sentenced in child pornography

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks
Vancouver police say a man has been arrested after a pair of "unprovoked stranger attacks" in the city's downtown that left one man dead and severed another victim's hand. Chief Constable Adam Palmer says police believe the early morning attacks near the Queen Elizabeth Theatre were "completely random," and that such incidents "shake our collective sense of comfort and safety."

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has "ripped up" the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. In a video posted Wednesday afternoon, Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals