Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:05 AM
  • Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

B.C. Conservative public safety critic Elenore Sturko is refusing to meet a former Vancouver Police Board vice-chair in defiance of the wishes of party leader John Rustad and a group of colleagues, who have backed the woman over controversial social media posts.

Sturko says in an interview she's not "challenging" Rustad, but it's "disappointing" he didn't tell her he was going to publicly post on social media that he met Comfort Sakoma-Fadugba, and Sturko should too.

Sturko reportedly told the CBC that Sakoma-Fadugba's resignation last month was appropriate, and she had made online comments that were offensive, including to the transgender community.

Sturko says in an interview she doesn't intend letting the issue harm her working relationship with her colleagues or Rustad, and she will meet him in Victoria today.

Former RCMP officer Sturko's defection to the Conservatives ahead of the B.C. election was a pivotal moment for the party and Rustad's efforts to create what he called a "big tent" party.

But tensions within the party were exposed by various responses to Sakoma-Fadugba's exit from the police board. Her posts on Instagram had included remarks about the impact of multiculturalism on "Canadian values."

Sturko says she knew when she joined the party there would be differences of opinion but she has "no desire to deepen any real or perceived rift" within the caucus.

"Not seeing that post (by Rustad) before it went up was disappointing, but it hasn't taken away from my desire to continue working with John to improve our province," she said.

"I think that having challenges (is) part of what it means to be in a caucus with a diversity of views in it. It's unfortunate that it spilled over into the public realm, because it gives people at least a perception that could be negative," she said.

Sturko says diversity within the caucus is "great," calling the differences of opinion a "distraction."

The row became public last week when journalist Jas Johal posted a letter on social media that was signed by 13 Conservative MLAs calling for a "written apology" from Sturko to Sakoma-Fadugba.

The document posted by Johal says Sakoma-Fadugba expressed the views of many Conservatives, and if Sturko didn't apologize and meet her then Rustad should.

Johal said on social media late Monday he had been threatened by a former Conservative candidate and he was reporting the matter to police.

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP pulling out of confidence deal with Liberals

NDP pulling out of confidence deal with Liberals
Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he has ripped up the supply and confidence deal his party had with the minority Liberal government that helped keep them in power. Singh says he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today that he is no longer propping up his government. 

NDP pulling out of confidence deal with Liberals

Police investigate two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre

Police investigate two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre
Vancouver police say extra officers are patrolling an area of downtown after two serious incidents this morning that may be linked. Police say in a post on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, that the crime scenes are on Georgia Street near Homer and Hamilton streets, and investigators are unsure if they are related.

Police investigate two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house
Police say someone set fire to two vehicles and fired multiple shots at a Victoria-area home owned by Indo-Canadian musician A-P Dhillon. Mounties say they were called to the home in Colwood early yesterday morning.

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree
Police in Nanaimo say they've arrested a man who was armed with a machete during an alleged crime spree that included a series of break-ins, chasing and attacking residents and stealing a car from a driveway. Nanaimo RCMP say the attacks happened on Monday afternoon, when police began receiving calls about a man using a machete to break into homes.

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in
Some former candidates complained that the Conservatives were being infiltrated by the Official Opposition — whose leader Kevin Falcon ended his party's campaign last Wednesday — and at least one said they planned to run as an independent.

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing
The Better Business Bureau is calling for businesses to be vigilant after a series of reported phishing attacks. The B-B-B says it has received calls from a number of B-C businesses about attempts made through e-mail or text to give up trademark information.

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing