Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Nov, 2023 12:44 PM
  • Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

The latest labour market survey for British Columbia says 75 per cent of the one million jobs needed over the next decade will require some level of post-secondary education or training. 

The survey says about 650,000 of the openings will be to replace those leaving the workforce, while the rest will be created through economic growth. 

The survey says some of the best job opportunities for those with degrees or diplomas are for nurses, elementary school teachers, software engineers and designers, social and community service workers, early childhood educators and police officers. 

Among the skilled trades, there's a need for cooks, carpenters, building superintendents, hairstylists and heavy equipment operators. 

The government has released a new digital tool called Find Your Path to help people gain insight into the education and career planning they need for the job they want. 

Selina Robinson, the post-secondary education minister, says with so many jobs needed, everyone can find their path to succeed in B.C.'s workforce. 

MORE National ARTICLES

3D printed guns on the rise

3D printed guns on the rise
The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says that although a fully functional firearm cannot be printed, conversion kits that complete 3-D guns can be bought in stores or online. It says anyone with a 3-D printer for their kids or for schools should be aware of the risks.

3D printed guns on the rise

As port workers strike prompts disruptions, study points finger at shipping companies

As port workers strike prompts disruptions, study points finger at shipping companies
About 7,400 members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada in Vancouver have been on strike since July 1. They say they're fighting for protections against contracting out work and automation, as well as pushing for higher wages. The strike, now in its second week, is starting to hit business operations in Canada.

As port workers strike prompts disruptions, study points finger at shipping companies

Crews and Province keep an eye on wildfires

Crews and Province keep an eye on wildfires
Wildfire crews and local governments are keeping a close watch on drought-stricken woodlands across B-C, as more lightning is forecast in many areas. The wildfire service says 318 active fires are currently burning -- most of them in the Northwest and Prince George fire districts where thousands of lightning strikes hit during a recent storm.

Crews and Province keep an eye on wildfires

Ottawa could help health care with better international recruiting, Smith says

Ottawa could help health care with better international recruiting, Smith says
Improving health care is not just a matter of money and transfers from Ottawa to the provinces, Alberta Premier Danielle Smith said Tuesday. Health care is one of the main topics at the three-day meeting this week. The premiers also met with health worker representatives.

Ottawa could help health care with better international recruiting, Smith says

RCMP search for puppy, Lil Bit, stolen in alleged home invasion in Surrey, B.C.

RCMP search for puppy, Lil Bit, stolen in alleged home invasion in Surrey, B.C.
Police in Surrey, B.C., are appealing for public help to find a puppy that was stolen during an alleged home invasion robbery. They say the six-month-old female miniature pinscher and Shih Tzu cross named Lil Bit was snatched when two people forced their way into a home on 147A Street last month and made off with the residents' belongings.

RCMP search for puppy, Lil Bit, stolen in alleged home invasion in Surrey, B.C.

Multiple charges as 27-year-old accused in crash that killed two B.C. teens

Multiple charges as 27-year-old accused in crash that killed two B.C. teens
A statement from Metro Vancouver Transit Police says Cory Brown faces two counts of criminal negligence causing death, one count of driving while disqualified and one count of flight from police. He remains in custody and is expected to return to court on July 19.  

Multiple charges as 27-year-old accused in crash that killed two B.C. teens