Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Nov, 2023 12:44 PM
  • Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

The latest labour market survey for British Columbia says 75 per cent of the one million jobs needed over the next decade will require some level of post-secondary education or training. 

The survey says about 650,000 of the openings will be to replace those leaving the workforce, while the rest will be created through economic growth. 

The survey says some of the best job opportunities for those with degrees or diplomas are for nurses, elementary school teachers, software engineers and designers, social and community service workers, early childhood educators and police officers. 

Among the skilled trades, there's a need for cooks, carpenters, building superintendents, hairstylists and heavy equipment operators. 

The government has released a new digital tool called Find Your Path to help people gain insight into the education and career planning they need for the job they want. 

Selina Robinson, the post-secondary education minister, says with so many jobs needed, everyone can find their path to succeed in B.C.'s workforce. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Get another COVID-19 booster in the fall, Canada's immunization panel recommends

Get another COVID-19 booster in the fall, Canada's immunization panel recommends
NACI continues to strongly recommend that anyone five years of age and older who hasn't yet been vaccinated should be immunized with a primary two-dose series of an mRNA vaccine. It also has a "discretionary recommendation" that children six months to five years of age who haven't yet been vaccinated get the two-dose primary series of an mRNA vaccine.

Get another COVID-19 booster in the fall, Canada's immunization panel recommends

Southbound surges of U.S. agents causing delays, 'disarray' at Canada-U.S. border

Southbound surges of U.S. agents causing delays, 'disarray' at Canada-U.S. border
New York Democrat Rep. Brian Higgins says Customs and Border Protection personnel are being temporarily reassigned to help fortify the U.S. border with Mexico. Higgins says as a result, busy points of entry along the Canada-U.S. border are seeing longer delays and unstaffed kiosks. 

Southbound surges of U.S. agents causing delays, 'disarray' at Canada-U.S. border

NATO leaders agree to spend at least two per cent of their countries' GDP on defence

NATO leaders agree to spend at least two per cent of their countries' GDP on defence
A statement released this afternoon in Vilnius, Lithuania, says NATO members pledge to make two per cent of GDP the minimum spend each year, with one-fifth of that going to equipment.

NATO leaders agree to spend at least two per cent of their countries' GDP on defence

As pandemic business loan repayment deadline looms, calls for extending deadline grow

As pandemic business loan repayment deadline looms, calls for extending deadline grow
The Canada Emergency Business Account program provided about 900,000 small businesses and not-for-profits up to $60,000 in interest-free loans during the pandemic. The deadline to repay these loans was extended last year to December 31, 2023 to ease pressure on businesses still recovering from the pandemic. 

As pandemic business loan repayment deadline looms, calls for extending deadline grow

Surrey shooting victim identified as Pavanbar Paul Mannan

Surrey shooting victim identified as Pavanbar Paul Mannan
IHIT investigators are identifying the victim as 29-year old, Pavanbar Paul Mannan, of Surrey, in hopes of furthering their investigation. Surrey RCMP say in a statement Mannan was found in a white Ford Edge in the alleyway north of 96 Avenue and 130 Street around 5 p.m. on Sunday, and was later declared dead at a hospital.

Surrey shooting victim identified as Pavanbar Paul Mannan

Three males arrested after threats with knives on White Rock pier

Three males arrested after threats with knives on White Rock pier
White Rock RCMP beach patrol officers were on foot nearby and gave chase along the promenade. After a short foot pursuit three males were arrested and their knives seized. Two youth males, were released from police custody with conditions and future court dates, into the care of their parents/guardians.

Three males arrested after threats with knives on White Rock pier