Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau Asks Transport Minister To Tackle Greyhound’s Western Pullout

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jul, 2018 01:58 PM
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has asked Transport Minister Marc Garneau to find solutions following Greyhound's withdrawal of bus service from western Canada.
     
     
    Trudeau says Greyhound's move is "difficult" for people who live in the Prairies and for those who are struggling economically.
     
     
    "I have asked our minister of transport to work with the provinces, to work with communities, to work with the company to try and see what paths forward there are," said Trudeau.
     
     
    Trudeau was responding to questions from reporters on a highway in Sutherlands River, N.S., about whether Ottawa is prepared to offer subsidies to keep the service running or offer an alternative.
     
     
    Greyhound Canada announced last week it is cutting passenger and delivery services in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, northwestern Ontario and rural British Columbia.
     
     
    The decision triggered outrage and apprehension among rural and First Nations communities that rely heavily on the company's service.
     
     
    Indigenous women's advocates have said that Greyhound's decision will put more women at risk.
     
     
    The issue of transportation along a notorious stretch of B.C.'s Highway 16 — known as the Highway of Tears — was a major point of contention last fall during hearings at the national inquiry for missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
     
     
    "We of course continue to be extremely concerned by the challenge of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, that's why we launched the national public inquiry into the issue," said Trudeau.
     
     
    "We of course are reflecting on that element of it and looking for how we can contribute to solutions."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Remains Of 6 Individuals Found On Property Linked To Serial Killer Bruce Mcarthur: Police

    Remains Of 6 Individuals Found On Property Linked To  Serial Killer Bruce Mcarthur: Police
    Toronto police say they will update the public this afternoon on their investigation into alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.

    Remains Of 6 Individuals Found On Property Linked To Serial Killer Bruce Mcarthur: Police

    One Man Dead After Multiple Pileups On Montreal Area Highways

    One Man Dead After Multiple Pileups On Montreal Area Highways
    MONTREAL — A man in his 70s died and at least 15 people suffered minor injuries Wednesday in one of several pileups on Montreal area highways in the midst of a winter storm.

    One Man Dead After Multiple Pileups On Montreal Area Highways

    Man, 29, Dies In Montreal Hospital After Shooting

    Man, 29, Dies In Montreal Hospital After Shooting
    Police say the shooting occurred just after midnight during an argument involving a few people on Chambly St., north of the downtown core.

    Man, 29, Dies In Montreal Hospital After Shooting

    Justin Trudeau Looks To Lure Tech Talent, Capital North In San Francisco Visit

    Justin Trudeau Looks To Lure Tech Talent, Capital North In San Francisco Visit
    The employee roll at Ben Zifkin's Toronto-based startup is set to double over the coming year to handle the increase in users of his free service, a business-based social network known as Hubba.

    Justin Trudeau Looks To Lure Tech Talent, Capital North In San Francisco Visit

    Medicine Hat Man Pleads Guilty To Threatening Prime Minister Trudeau

    Medicine Hat Man Pleads Guilty To Threatening Prime Minister Trudeau
    William Benham, 52, was in Medicine Hat provincial court today and entered a guilty plea to charges of uttering threats and threats to cause damage to property.

    Medicine Hat Man Pleads Guilty To Threatening Prime Minister Trudeau

    Operators Of Threatened Independent Vancouver Cinema Launch Its Second Act

    Operators Of Threatened Independent Vancouver Cinema Launch Its Second Act
    The operators of one of the last independent movie theatres in Vancouver say their multimillion-dollar offer to buy the aging cinema has been accepted and now they have 60 days to finalize the deal.

    Operators Of Threatened Independent Vancouver Cinema Launch Its Second Act