Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau Asks Transport Minister To Tackle Greyhound’s Western Pullout

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jul, 2018 01:58 PM
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has asked Transport Minister Marc Garneau to find solutions following Greyhound's withdrawal of bus service from western Canada.
     
     
    Trudeau says Greyhound's move is "difficult" for people who live in the Prairies and for those who are struggling economically.
     
     
    "I have asked our minister of transport to work with the provinces, to work with communities, to work with the company to try and see what paths forward there are," said Trudeau.
     
     
    Trudeau was responding to questions from reporters on a highway in Sutherlands River, N.S., about whether Ottawa is prepared to offer subsidies to keep the service running or offer an alternative.
     
     
    Greyhound Canada announced last week it is cutting passenger and delivery services in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, northwestern Ontario and rural British Columbia.
     
     
    The decision triggered outrage and apprehension among rural and First Nations communities that rely heavily on the company's service.
     
     
    Indigenous women's advocates have said that Greyhound's decision will put more women at risk.
     
     
    The issue of transportation along a notorious stretch of B.C.'s Highway 16 — known as the Highway of Tears — was a major point of contention last fall during hearings at the national inquiry for missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
     
     
    "We of course continue to be extremely concerned by the challenge of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, that's why we launched the national public inquiry into the issue," said Trudeau.
     
     
    "We of course are reflecting on that element of it and looking for how we can contribute to solutions."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C.-Based Coalition Launches Campaign To Bring Ride-Hailing To The Province

    VANCOUVER — Eight organizations in British Columbia are joining forces to advocate for ride-hailing services in the province as soon as possible.

    B.C.-Based Coalition Launches Campaign To Bring Ride-Hailing To The Province

    Trudeau Says 'Peoplekind' Remark Was A Bad Attempt At Humour He Regrets

    Trudeau Says 'Peoplekind' Remark Was A Bad Attempt At Humour He Regrets
    In an exchange between Trudeau and a woman asking about religious charities at the Edmonton event, Trudeau interjected when she used the word mankind, telling her he preferred to say peoplekind.

    Trudeau Says 'Peoplekind' Remark Was A Bad Attempt At Humour He Regrets

    Nova Scotia Man Facing Charges After Allegedly Shooting Neighbour's Dog

    Nova Scotia Man Facing Charges After Allegedly Shooting Neighbour's Dog
    Lunenburg RCMP say the Labrador-pit bull mix was shot Monday shortly before 10 p.m. in a residential neighbourhood off Highway 103.

    Nova Scotia Man Facing Charges After Allegedly Shooting Neighbour's Dog

    Carpenter Rescues N.S. Couple Trapped In Flooding Car: 'I'll Get You Out'

    Carpenter Rescues N.S. Couple Trapped In Flooding Car: 'I'll Get You Out'
    The wind was howling, and rain battered the Nova Scotia carpenter's face, as he looked down at a vehicle that had gone off a slippery Annapolis Valley road last Friday night and into a watery ditch.

    Carpenter Rescues N.S. Couple Trapped In Flooding Car: 'I'll Get You Out'

    Woman Sues Ex For Half Of $6 Million Lottery Win After He Left With Ticket

    Woman Sues Ex For Half Of $6 Million Lottery Win After He Left With Ticket
    An Ontario woman is suing her former common-law partner for allegedly denying that the couple had won $6 million in a provincial lottery before claiming the full prize for himself.

    Woman Sues Ex For Half Of $6 Million Lottery Win After He Left With Ticket

    Feds Earmark Cash To Protect Children From Online Sexual Exploitation

    Feds Earmark Cash To Protect Children From Online Sexual Exploitation
    OTTAWA — The Liberal government has announced millions of dollars in new money for a national centre that works to protect children from online sexual exploitation.

    Feds Earmark Cash To Protect Children From Online Sexual Exploitation