Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau Asks Transport Minister To Tackle Greyhound’s Western Pullout

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jul, 2018 01:58 PM
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has asked Transport Minister Marc Garneau to find solutions following Greyhound's withdrawal of bus service from western Canada.
     
     
    Trudeau says Greyhound's move is "difficult" for people who live in the Prairies and for those who are struggling economically.
     
     
    "I have asked our minister of transport to work with the provinces, to work with communities, to work with the company to try and see what paths forward there are," said Trudeau.
     
     
    Trudeau was responding to questions from reporters on a highway in Sutherlands River, N.S., about whether Ottawa is prepared to offer subsidies to keep the service running or offer an alternative.
     
     
    Greyhound Canada announced last week it is cutting passenger and delivery services in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, northwestern Ontario and rural British Columbia.
     
     
    The decision triggered outrage and apprehension among rural and First Nations communities that rely heavily on the company's service.
     
     
    Indigenous women's advocates have said that Greyhound's decision will put more women at risk.
     
     
    The issue of transportation along a notorious stretch of B.C.'s Highway 16 — known as the Highway of Tears — was a major point of contention last fall during hearings at the national inquiry for missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
     
     
    "We of course continue to be extremely concerned by the challenge of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, that's why we launched the national public inquiry into the issue," said Trudeau.
     
     
    "We of course are reflecting on that element of it and looking for how we can contribute to solutions."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Devon Paul Charged In Last July’s Incident Of Forcible Confinement In Surrey

    Devon Paul Charged In Last July’s Incident Of Forcible Confinement In Surrey
    One man has now been charged after a July 2017 incident where he allegedly held a woman against her will and threatened her with a weapon in Newton.

    Devon Paul Charged In Last July’s Incident Of Forcible Confinement In Surrey

    Langley Woman Wakes To Find Man In Her Walnut Grove Home

    Langley Woman Wakes To Find Man In Her Walnut Grove Home
    Police responded to a break-in to a residence in the Walnut Grove area in the early morning hours of February 1st.

    Langley Woman Wakes To Find Man In Her Walnut Grove Home

    4 In 10 Young Canadians Have Sent A Sext, 6 In 10 Have Received One

    4 In 10 Young Canadians Have Sent A Sext, 6 In 10 Have Received One
    About four in 10 young Canadians have sent a sext and more than six in 10 have received one, suggests a new report, which also puts a spotlight on the unauthorized sharing of sexual photographs among teens.

    4 In 10 Young Canadians Have Sent A Sext, 6 In 10 Have Received One

    Nude Photos Of Ex-NHL Player Mike Zigomanis Not 'Shocking,' Appeal Court Rules

    Nude Photos Of Ex-NHL Player Mike Zigomanis Not 'Shocking,' Appeal Court Rules
    former Toronto Maple Leafs hockey player who lost a promotional gig after nude pictures of himself surfaced on the internet had his breach-of-contract award upheld on Tuesday.

    Nude Photos Of Ex-NHL Player Mike Zigomanis Not 'Shocking,' Appeal Court Rules

    'Sound of Music' Not So Sweet: Man Charged After Concert-Goer Punched After Show

    'Sound of Music' Not So Sweet: Man Charged After Concert-Goer Punched After Show
    Police say a 63-year-old man was being picked up after the show at the Centennial Concert Hall on Jan. 6 and was trying to get into the back of an SUV.

    'Sound of Music' Not So Sweet: Man Charged After Concert-Goer Punched After Show

    B.C. Government To Cap ICBC Minor Injury Claims At $5,500

    B.C. Government To Cap ICBC Minor Injury Claims At $5,500
    The British Columbia government is directing changes for the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) to bring about an end to its financial crisis, while keeping rates affordable for B.C. drivers, Attorney General David Eby announced.

    B.C. Government To Cap ICBC Minor Injury Claims At $5,500