Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Motorcyclist dies in collision

Motorcyclist dies in collision
A motorcyclist has died after colliding with a light standard in Abbotsford. Police say they were called to the intersection of Golden Avenue and Trethewey Street on Saturday at 3:30 p-m and the motorcyclist died from his injuries.

Motorcyclist dies in collision

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police
Mounties say a man has been charged more than a year after a body was found on a rural property in south central B.C. A statement from police says the body of Wayne Sirvio was discovered at a home in Sicamous on Aug. 5, 2023, three days after he was reported missing.

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'
The large wildfire that destroyed multiple homes in British Columbia's southern Interior last month is now considered "held." BC Wildfire Service says the 280-square-kilometre Shetland Creek wildfire is not likely to spread further, but crews still have hard work ahead.

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

Four found dead in homicide investigation in McCreary, Manitoba

Four found dead in homicide investigation in McCreary, Manitoba
Mounties in Manitoba say they are investigating four deaths in and around the small community of McCreary, northwest of Winnipeg. RCMP Staff Sgt. Richard Sherring says around 10 a.m. today, officers acting on a tip found the body of a 41 year-old man on a road who had died from a self-inflicted injury.

Four found dead in homicide investigation in McCreary, Manitoba

Classroom space to be boosted in Surrey School

Classroom space to be boosted in Surrey School
A Surrey high school is about to boost its classroom space in a big way. The province says it will invest 78.6-million-dollars on a four-storey addition to Fleetwood Park Secondary School. The new expansion will add 800 student seats and is set to include a neighbourhood learning centre, an Indigenous learning and meeting space as well as a space for child-care.

Classroom space to be boosted in Surrey School

B.C. man sentenced to four years for manslaughter in girlfriend's shooting death

B.C. man sentenced to four years for manslaughter in girlfriend's shooting death
A man who told police he was "joking around" with his girlfriend when he fatally shot her in the head has been sentenced to four years in prison for manslaughter with an additional six months for possessing a rifle without a licence. The British Columbia provincial court decision in Vancouver says Trevor Brown was 18 when he shot Anichka Loeffler, who was also 18, in November 2020.

B.C. man sentenced to four years for manslaughter in girlfriend's shooting death