Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs
The $18.4 million CBC/Radio-Canada awarded in bonuses to its employees this year is shocking, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said. He also said bonuses at the public broadcaster aren't justified because a government-owned corporation doesn't face competition like in the private sector. 

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent
The landlord company successfully argued that financial losses caused by the interest rate hikes were not foreseeable "under reasonable circumstances," and it should be allowed to increase rent beyond the 3.5 per cent limit set by the province for this year.

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo
Canada is selling its former Manhattan residence, which used to house its consulate general in New York.  Global Affairs Canada says the five-bedroom condo was listed today at over $13 million, which is expected to exceed the purchase price of its new $9 million condo located on a Manhattan street known as Billionaires' Row. 

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo

B.C. police watchdog says officer in Gastown shooting may have committed offence

B.C. police watchdog says officer in Gastown shooting may have committed offence
British Columbia's police watchdog says a Metro Vancouver Transit Police officer involved in a shooting in Vancouver's Gastown neighbourhood in 2022 may have committed an offence and has asked prosecutors to consider charges. The Independent Investigations Office says there are "reasonable grounds" to believe the officer may have broken the law in relation to use of a firearm.

B.C. police watchdog says officer in Gastown shooting may have committed offence

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire
The Shetland Creek wildfire destroyed at least 20 structures, six of which were homes in the Venables Valley in the days after the blaze was first reported on July 12. The fire is still classified as out of control and has burned 280 square kilometres of forested land on rural properties on the western side of the Thompson River.

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death
The WorkSafeBC report into the July 28 death of Zak Muise, employed by contractor Big Cat Wildfire, says the wildfire service didn't adequately supervise use of the utility vehicles, lacked procedures and training about their operation and didn't ensure they were inspected for safety.

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death