Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Conservatives pitch health-care changes, more private clinics

B.C. Conservatives pitch health-care changes, more private clinics
John Rustad acknowledges that if his party were to form government in October the plan would cause the provincial budget to "spike," but says in the long-term it will bring down per-capita health-care spending.

B.C. Conservatives pitch health-care changes, more private clinics

B.C. tribunal orders woman to pay ex $450 for Coldplay ticket she thought was a gift

B.C. tribunal orders woman to pay ex $450 for Coldplay ticket she thought was a gift
A British Columbia woman has been ordered to pay her former romantic partner $450 for her ticket to attend a Coldplay concert together on what she said she believed was a date. But the province's Civil Resolution Tribunal says in a ruling that there was no evidence Michael Stolfi intended the ticket to be a gift to Alyssa Randles, and that instead it was a loan that the woman had to repay.

B.C. tribunal orders woman to pay ex $450 for Coldplay ticket she thought was a gift

2 dead, 1 hurt in plane crash in Tofino

2 dead, 1 hurt in plane crash in Tofino
RCMP say two people are dead after the crash of a small aircraft at the Long Beach Airport in Tofino on Vancouver Island. Police say a third person has been seriously injured in the crash involving a six-seat aircraft.

2 dead, 1 hurt in plane crash in Tofino

Calgary relaxes outdoor water restrictions as repaired pipe brought on stream

Calgary relaxes outdoor water restrictions as repaired pipe brought on stream
Calgary continues to relax its outdoor water restrictions as a repaired water main gradually returns to full capacity. Mayor Jyoti Gondek says residents can now use sprinklers to water their lawns for one hour a week.

Calgary relaxes outdoor water restrictions as repaired pipe brought on stream

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly to visit China after years-long rift

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly to visit China after years-long rift
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is headed to China on Friday at the invitation of Beijing, after years of diplomatic strain following the 2018 detention of two Canadians. In recent months, China has urged Canada to work on shared priorities and draw less attention to disagreements.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly to visit China after years-long rift

Canadians should remind American neighbours of important relationship: ambassador

Canadians should remind American neighbours of important relationship: ambassador
As Donald Trump prepares to speak at the Republican National Convention, Canada’s ambassador to the United States is urging Canadians to talk to Americans about the countries' important relationship. Tonight will be the first time Trump, who has been confirmed as the Republican presidential candidate, will speak publicly since an assassination attempt at a Saturday rally in Pennsylvania.

Canadians should remind American neighbours of important relationship: ambassador