Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 11:54 AM
  • Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system.

Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Over the next two years, the permanent residency stream is being reduced by about 20 per cent to 365,000 in 2027.

In the video, Trudeau talks about the need to increase immigration after pandemic lockdowns ended in order to boost the labour market, saying the move helped avoid a full-blown recession. 

But after that, Trudeau says some "bad actors" took advantage of these programs. 

"Some saw that as a profit, to game the system. We saw way too many large corporations do this," Trudeau said. 

The prime minister adds that "too many" colleges and universities used international student programs to "raise their bottom line" as non-Canadian students pay significantly higher tuition. He also said scammers targeting "vulnerable immigrants" with bogus paths to citizenship.

"Looking back, when the post-pandemic boom cooled and businesses no longer needed the additional labour help, as a federal team we could have acted quicker and turned off the taps faster," Trudeau said. 

From there, Trudeau talks about the new immigration plan with the stated goal of lowering the amount of permanent and temporary immigrants coming to Canada. 

In addition to a phased reduction in new permanent residents over the next two years, recent changes have made it more difficult to for employers to get temporary worker permits approved. 

Trudeau says the goal of the government's immigration reduction is to help stabilize population growth while housing stocks catch up, and then to consider gradually increasing immigration rates once again. 

When reached for comment, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's spokesperson Sebastian Skamski referred The Canadian Press to an interview Poilievre did with CKNW 980's "The Jas Johal Show" in Vancouver where Poilievre discussed immigration.

In that interview, Poilievre said much of his criticism of the current immigration system is coming from what Trudeau himself has said since enacting these recent changes. 

"Now, he's basically denouncing his entire immigration policy and expecting us to believe that he can fix the problems that he caused," Poilievre said. 

"The bottom line is we have to fix our immigration, get back to the best system in the world, the one that brought my wife here as a refugee legally and lawfully, the one that brought so many people here to pursue the Canadian promise and that's what I'm going to do as prime minister."

Poilievre's previously said he would tie immigration rates to available housing while considering other factors like access to health-care and jobs. 

Speaking on background, an official from the Prime Minister's Office said that the video is being released as another means of communicating government policy to Canadians. 

As for concerns around the potential for increased irregular migration with U.S. president elect Donald Trump's deportation promises, the official said the video was filmed before the American election. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

'Major damage': Vandalism at federal immigration minister's office in Montreal

'Major damage': Vandalism at federal immigration minister's office in Montreal
Police say the Montreal constituency office of federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller was vandalized overnight. Outside, windows were smashed and walls were defaced with paint and graffiti.

'Major damage': Vandalism at federal immigration minister's office in Montreal

Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan leaving cabinet, Trudeau confirms

Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan leaving cabinet, Trudeau confirms
Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan is stepping down from cabinet and will not be seeking re-election in the next federal contest, the Prime Minister's Office confirmed Thursday. A statement from that office said a replacement for O'Regan would be sworn in at Rideau Hall on Friday. 

Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan leaving cabinet, Trudeau confirms

''Tactical evacuations' as B.C. Interior wildfire grows: minister

''Tactical evacuations' as B.C. Interior wildfire grows: minister
British Columbia's minister for emergency management says "tactical evacuations" have been carried out in the Thompson-Nicola area of the province's Interior, where an out-of-control wildfire is threatening communities. Bowinn Ma told a news briefing in Kamloops that the Shetland Creek fire grew "quickly and considerably last night."

''Tactical evacuations' as B.C. Interior wildfire grows: minister

Door to door pranks in Surrey

Door to door pranks in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey are investigating door-knock pranks after multiple residences were damaged. Police say a decades-old prank known as Nicky nicky nine doors, has devolved into cases of harassment and mischief as an ongoing frenzy of pranks takes place in the neighbourhoods of Newton and South Surrey.

Door to door pranks in Surrey

27 heat records broken for BC

27 heat records broken for BC
Environment Canada says B-C broke or tied at least 27 daily heat records Wednesday. Lytton in the Fraser Canyon was the hottest spot in the province at 42 degrees, shattering the 2009 record of 35.3 degrees. 

27 heat records broken for BC

Years after Insite ruling, drug policy landscape is still being shaped in B.C.

Years after Insite ruling, drug policy landscape is still being shaped in B.C.
In 2021, the Vancouver-based Drug User Liberation Front approached Health Canada with a proposal. Health Canada rejected the application for exemption from drug laws, saying DULF's plan presented too many public health and safety risks — but the group went ahead with it anyway, saying it would save lives.

Years after Insite ruling, drug policy landscape is still being shaped in B.C.